KDE Discover no authentication

Hello,
I’m very new to KDE and Discover Software App. Every time I try to install something it tells me I do not have authentication to do so, but never prompts me for my password. So, I’m currently stuck using apt or synaptic. There seem to be a lot of people that have had this problem through the years, but there has been no definitive solution that applies to me.
This doesn’t feel like a bug as much as user error. There must be something I’m doing wrong, I think.
Thank you!

1 Like

No, rest assured you’re not doing anything wrong. It broke for me some time ago (weeks, months) and I didn’t really investigate it.
I suspected something broke when I upgraded to Byzantium and I just didn’t notice directly after. But now (as you also experience it) I rather think some update broke it.

pero hay alguna solucion?a mi tambien me pasa

Translation: But is there any solution? It happens to me too.

It may help to provide more background, at least whether this is Librem laptop or Librem phone or some other hardware; and what PureOS version.

hello irvin,
The Pureos version is 10.0.
The problen is Discover.Apparently, when lar discover, it tells you that you do not have permission and does not let you install anything. The system does not allow you to change privileges. I think there is a lack of a bookstore that makes it possible. I do not know if there is a way to drag it since I have tried everything. In the next update I hope you fix it. If you install the other version that is not kde of plasma this does not happen. the problem is Discovery

https://tracker.pureos.net/T1117

1 Like

As of today, plasma-discover authentication bug is still there.
Note that if you try to change the software sources, ‘Run as root - KDE su’ dialog appears as expected.

My setup:
Operating System: PureOS 10.0
KDE Plasma Version: 5.20.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.78.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.10.0-21-amd64
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 4 × Intel® Celeron® CPU J3455 @ 1.50GHz
Memory: 5.7 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 500

1 Like

Tried several workarounds, including a customized policy in /usr/share/polkit-1/actions. To no avail.

The only way to make it work is the same way you can run most KDE apps with elevated privileges: install dbus-x11 (sudo apt install dbus-x11) and create an Application link (any_filename.desktop) like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Comment[en_GB]=
Comment=
Exec=pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 KDE_FULL_SESSION=true dbus-launch plasma-discover
GenericName[en_GB]=
GenericName=
Icon=/usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/plasmadiscover.png
MimeType=
Name[en_GB]=Discover
Name=Discover
Path=
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
X-DBUS-ServiceName=