Kill switches, but what about the other sensors?

Kill switches are the single number 1 reason I want this phone. But they have to do their job…

The purism website states this that kill switches are for the “camera, microphone, WiFi/Bluetooth, and baseband”. In some places it also says “all 3 will kill GPS”.

But for me that is not enough. What about the other sensors in the phone? What stops someone using the speakers as a microphone, or stealing information from the accelerometers? For that matter, couldn’t the accelerometers potentially be used as a microphone? Is there an ambient light sensor, or a proximity sensor? And if so, will the power to them get cut too??

I want a phone that can’t collect information from the world around it. I want the only information that it has to be the information that I give it or information that I allow it to collect. And I want to be 100% sure that this is the case - I don’t want to have to trust software. Does this phone offer exactly that, or does it fall just short?

You should read the whole description of the kill switches.
I can recommend you a good read, which explains a lot about this functionality.

1 Like

Thankyou. Yes, lock-down mode is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear.

Why is there no mention of the lock-down mode on the main page about the Librem 5? Maybe they didn’t end up including it??

No , Lockdown mode™ is a required feature. Its in there,

1 Like

I hope the new switches are those side toggling ones, like the silent-mode switch on an iPhone. These switches on my Librem 13 v3 get toggled accidentally in my bag all the durn time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Librem 5 page is not updated very often. I think you will find the most up-to-date information in the News & Events section. The Librem 5 category is a good place to look.

1 Like