L5 durability and the case for a case

my glass also broke badly. but purism have servises to repair phone. I live in norway so closest repair fascility is located in germany. took short time and the phone was returned to me.

5 Likes

Thank you for your response.

Although the availability for buying spare parts is a must have, I find it more important to have the possibility to buy protection for the L5. If this option were available, then the need for spare parts (after damaging caused by dropping) would be a bit less urgent.

I do hope that Purism will soon offer such protection.

2 Likes

Hi Adel,

I know there is a repair facility in Germany. Thank you for letting me know.
However my assumption is that repairing such damage will cost a lot, so I choose to invest my money into a new L5.
The damaged L5 I will use as a testing device, since attaching it to my PC screen does still work fine.

1 Like

well, it was not over prriced. and secondly, they nlet you know how much the repair would cost before to let you
descide if to go…
ifor change on my L5 smashed glass I payed round 250

1 Like

250 usd​:phone::phone::phone::phone::phone::phone:

1 Like

That sounds like a fair price.

1 Like

Ended up 3D printed a TPU FDM case from the case thread here on the forum… It works well.

1 Like

Here is a page on Gitlab that might help… Librem5-Case · master · Librem5 / 3D_designs · GitLab

1 Like
1 Like

One way around that problem, after the fact of dropping it, that is, is to get a few back covers. I ordered two, was promised to get info on that order in a few days, but it is now a few months and still no Info on how much it will cost or when I might get those back covers. I assume purism workers are overworked?

3 Likes

Yes, that is my assumption too. Try contacting Purism Support again, but if they do not respond, let us know.

2 Likes

The best thing to do is just get them to send them with an order for something else.
(That’s what I did.)

2 Likes

I don’t see how that will hurry things up. The more things added to deliver, the more there is to slow down the delivery.

1 Like

In a little over 1.5 years of using the L5 as my main mobile Internet device (alongside a simple KaiOS phone for actual phone calls) I probably dropped it about five times. The first four drops it did survive surprisingly well. I remember it fell on asphalt twice, once even from a greater height, when I was on my bicycle. It only got a dent in the metal frame from this. But the last drop was in my apartment, not from too high. The floor is laminate, probably with OSB underneath. Now it has a few big cracks on the lower half of the screen. I now got myself a Impact Screen Protectors - ViaScreens protector, to stop the screen from breaking further. I wish I had gotten it earlier, because I think it would have avoided this damage. I’m glad to hear that repair is possible… but $250 is a lot of money, and I’d rather keep using the phone the way it is for another year or so, and then buying a new Linux phone with much reduced power consumption.

4 Likes

For quite a bit of time, I also used KaiOS and PureOS concurrently, but I eventually managed to remove my dependency on KaiOS after updating all firmware on the Librem 5.

1 Like

Pushing this forward: short-term resale, then iterate upon an official design.

2 Likes

Yay!
(@guru re his question)

2 Likes

I’ve actually been testing an older design (Librem5 case v1.1) and am working to perfect it so that we can have a two-part case that has a TPU portion that can be covered by a hard shell - think an Otterbox Defender Series case…

1 Like

https://plexmod.de/devilx/download/Evergreen_new_case_1.1.stl would be the case I used, my coworker and I are using this as the current TPU portion, we will be making mods to the design after we dial it in the rest of the way.

1 Like

Good stuff. I’d like to offer a few types of officially-adopted cases for the L5. One way the community could assist the product design team (I’ll defer to @francois-techene to make the ultimate decisions), is to curate this page of the community wiki to list all candidates for consideration. IMHO, designs containing source e.g. .scad files and supporting documentation e.g. recommended printing parameters would take priority of adoption over designs only including .stl.

3 Likes