L5 expected soon... SmartTV OS Options

Next few months might put my 2 L5’s in my hands.

Thinking ahead about finding deals for +/- 50" SmartTV screen in my studio to use with one of the L5s.

Any suggestions? Currently using LG with their OS with my Galaxy Note9. Very easy, works well.

Doing new additional purchase of same is default at the moment but with uniqueness of L5 & PureOS strategy maybe needed.

Any comments much welcomed.

g

Sharing is Caring KOPIMI

My first suggestion would be to trash your current smartTV, and not to buy an new one, but… ok, I’ll try being more helpful here… :roll_eyes:

I suppose it’s kind of hard to help you for 2 reasons :

• you don’t specify what kind of interactions you are used to between your phone and your tv
    What is important for you to work between those two devices ?
  • If you don’t like being profiled/spied by your phone, you probably don’t like being profiled/spied by your tv, but maybe some people here have found some opensource/respectful compatible smartTV (not even sure it exists)

Did you think about some kind of add-on (Picast-like) connected to the tv to do the job ?

Sorry can’t help you more, not really my area of expertise here :thinking:

Avoid any TV running an operating system from Google …

3 Likes

A smart TV is also no option for me. I have a beamer and a wall in combination with a pc. That suits my needs as I don’t look a lot of live television (once a year eurovision or football european / world cup) and when I do I either use streaming or a DVB-T card.

Beamer is unbeatable for screen size, disadvantage can be light. In summer or brighter days I have to darken the room - in the night it’s perfect. Actually I am writing this right now on my wall :wink:

I don’t necessarily have anything against the concept of smart TV’s, but their implementation has always been horrible, buggy, insecure, etc. I have also moved on to using a projector and can plug my laptop directly into it and not have to deal with any of that crappy software anymore… so my recommendation would be a projector too!

1 Like

Didn’t want to take up space on the back ground use but your point is well taken on lack of info…

Picast is a golden nugget. Thank you.

There was a time I thought I could keep up with tech & maybe even smile when the next new thing headed for the market since it seemed so obvious a thing to happen next… USB’s…:mage:‍♂

Not anymore, and it has been that way for a while now. So thanks for your offer of an idea new, to me.

BTW, my purchasing 2 L5’s was, is, a purely, no pun intended, political move. As is my ownership of a L13, which I never use except to create a conversation offering to place it into stranger’s hands in a public venue. It is a SUPER Gauranteed way to introduce folks to FSF & EFF a BucketListIndustriesProject of mine.

Picast may make the L5’s become more usable daily, than the L13.

Thanks for the gold nugget!

Thanks, this projector could be an option as well.

A picast connected to a projector ? :smiley:

? … two new ideas to me to research about…

a TV ? what for ? if you want to take the gov. & co. regulations just go to the internal ministry’s affairs (or what have you) web-page and get your ‘news’ …

I’d guess that’s that thing which shows fireplace and makes clicking sounds.

1 Like

Ah ah nice one :rofl:

For various reasons, I can’t recommend that anyone ever get any kind of TV. But one unmentioned option is to use a large monitor like this one that has USB-C for input, plus a USB-C cable connecting your phone to the monitor, and some peripherals. This will let you use the phone AS your media center interface.
I just tried it out with a Pinephone. It worked, but you may have to change what your “primary display” is every time you plug it in. It didn’t seem to accept the Steam controller I had plugged into the monitor, so you may have to use more ordinary keyboards and mice if you want to control it from the couch.

ok but you don’t NEED a TV for that unless your into 4k photography/colorimetric accuracy and you’re into OLED technology … if 1080p @ 16by10 aspect ratio with no HDR is all you need then the ASUS PA24AC will do that for you out of the box … i don’t have my L5 yet so i can’t yet confirm that though …

SmartTV probably not the best choice of words to use on this forum. I get it. But the responses have been helpful.

The ASUS idea is closing in on being the right mix for my wants.

Rant like:
My studio is multi-use for me. Workshop, lab bench, recumbent bike, presentation space as well as an office. 50" class LG & Galaxy Note 9 is a sweet convenience, now, without the clutter of wires. wifi & just 2 devices. Reeks convince, but My FBI file has been in place since the 60’s. Done.

(Hoping the comments re: PRIVACY, have been put to rest as a conundrum; like: BMI, diet, saving money, exercising, charity, plus knowing there is zero gaurantee that I will be coming down for breakfast in the morning - I, too, get it, Choir.

PURISM, not perfect, but pushing for a …more perfect Union, my hope is it’s leading a way towards my sisters embracing FSF as norm one day. BTW, Mr. WWW guy also remains a leader evolved too. WWW, as a first action step is evolving as well. Nicely done Tim.

Thanks for all the comments & suggestions. L5 not in my hands yet, this thread is helpful in preparing for that big unknown.

Sharing is Caring
KOPIMI

The LG is a really sweet idea. Thanks.