L5 Hotspot Issue

I had an issue today where I wanted to use my L5 as a hotspot, and it was able to connect via the broadmobi modem chip + cellular, but then when I turned on WiFi hotspot mode and hosted a network for another device, that device could connect to the custom SSID just fine but after some seconds it appeared to stop having actual internet connectivity and could not ping a public server like google.com even though the L5 still could.

What would cause this? Shouldn’t the devices on the network have internet if the L5-as-a-router has internet?

1 Like

Maybe you run into this issue: Mobile data stops working, outgoing packets still sent but incoming packets no longer arrive (#328) · Issues · Librem5 / OS-issues · GitLab. When using the L5 as a hotspot, the mobile data is the access to the internet, so this issue could be the cause of the hotspot not working any more. I ran regularly into this issue.

A workaround for the above mentioned issue is given in this comment. Which is basically doing this:

sudo echo 5000 > /sys/devices/platform/soc@0/38200000.usb/xhci-hcd.4.auto/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/power/autosuspend_delay_ms

And even after doing the above, I sometimes loose the mobile data connection, but way less frequent.

As a side note: Did you install network-manager-config-connectivity-pureos? When you have this installed, a symbol will be shown when you loose internet connectivity. Personally, I think that this package should be installed by default, because it gives at least feedback to the user that there is an issue with internet connectivity.

To install it, run:

sudo apt install network-manager-config-connectivity-pureos
2 Likes