L5, PureOS, AweSIM, DTMF Menu Navigation

My Librem 5 with the most basic AweSIM recentl arrived and for various reasons am taking getting up to speed with it slowly. One of my top top priorities is making sure cell service is working as currently expected and what any limitations are since it is incurring a monthly charge. I also want a feel for the current expected situation before contacting Purism support.

I am having 2 main problems.

1. When I call a number answered by a navigation menu, the dial pad does not seem to generate any signal. That is, the menu doest not respond at all, either waiting “forever” or repeating directions/choice possibilities. I’ve found a number of old threads, but can’t tell whether it has ever worked or is even on a roadmap. Telling me to update without also supplying information about a version that does work is not responsive to this question.

2. This would be number 1 but it is a bit more complicated and has more than one sub-part. Sometimes a call doesn’t go through and when this happens, sometimes I get a text about “unapproved device”. Purism documents that this is “normal” when “3G activity has been detected”. The phone came presetup for AweSIM (a much appreciated service), including set to 4G only. One thing I tried while playing around was disable mobile data. Does that disable VoLTE? I do know that when I reenable mobile data calls still don’t always complete, even after one or more power cycles and I also sometimes get an “unapproved device” text. I have also had cases where one number reliably answered but another land line with a hardware answering machine which never answered until a friend called it for me and it did. I tried that number later with my Librem 5 and it finally did answer.

I know there are people daily driving a Librem 5 and I want to know how to avoid the problems I am having and whether dislpad DTMF should work after a call has been answered.

1 Like