L5 & Raspberry Pi 400?

Has anyone connected their L5 up to a Raspberry Pi 400? and used it to access the L5 with monitor and keyboard?

Would Pi let L5 use Pi to play videos/audio from L5?

I don’t just want to go plugging things in and blow up my L5. I’ll let you do that :slight_smile: and tell us about it.

TIA
~s

Hi Sharon,

what is exactly the use case you want to achieve? What is the problem you want to solve?

Raspberry Pi 400 is just a Linux computer.
As such just like with every computer, you could SSH or VNC into the Librem 5 out of the Raspberry Pi 400 and thus send commands to the Librem 5 or display the Librem 5 screen on the screen that Raspberry Pi 400 uses.
You don’t need cables for this. You just need the Librem 5 and Raspberry Pi 400 in one WiFi network and the necessary SSH/VNC server configured on the Librem 5 and SSH/VNC clients configured on the Raspberry Pi 400.
You can also do it the other way round. Imagine that you have your Raspberry Pi 400 connected to a large screen and up and running while you are in your couch with your Librem 5. You could ssh from the Librem 5 to the Raspberry Pi 400 and turn on a movie on the Raspberry Pi, so the Librem 5 will act like a remote control.

Best regards
Hristo

1 Like

[Edit]
Addendum. I have the Pi 400 and toy with it now and then. I use cables a lot because when they are unplugged - it’s hard to smirc. It’s inline with a workstation that has Pure OS, Ubuntu and had PopOS. Each on their own 2TB HDD.Oh yea, Windows is on there too but rarely use it.[/EDIT]

Aha! That’s one of things that I’d like to do.
Thanks,
~s

In terms of plugging the Librem 5 in to another computer and doing video output from the Librem 5 to the other computer, I don’t think this can be done using the Raspberry Pi 400 or using any other computer basically. It’s just not a thing even though it would sometimes be nice to be able to do that - so maybe one day.

The video output side is actually fairly straightforward if you just want a bigger monitor for your Librem 5. With a monitor that directly supports USB-C input, it can “just work”. With a monitor (or a TV) with an HDMI input, you will need a USB-C to HDMI video converter (not particularly expensive).

Then partner that with a Bluetooth keyboard (preferably one with a trackpad) and you’re all set.

However many people are choosing to use a dock instead. The dock combines the functions of video output conversion to HDMI and charging and USB ports for a conventional (wired) keyboard and mouse - and will often give you an ethernet port as well, and sometimes give you a card reader too.

As HDMI has an audio channel, if you can get video out working via HDMI and your monitor / TV has built-in or attached speakers then audio should work too.

And some people are using a “lapdock” instead. The lapdock has a USB-C input and has an integrated keyboard, display and trackpad. This is relatively expensive though so only worthwhile if you plan to be using this a fair bit.

I believe that the Linux audio stack natively supports piping the audio over the network. So you should always be able to play, for example, an MP3 file on one Linux computer but have the sound come out on the speakers of the other Linux computer.

In my experience though, the analog audio output on the Raspberry Pi is not great. You could be better off plugging a pair of analog headphones straight into the Librem 5 (where I found the audio quality to be quite good even using a relatively inexpensive pair of headphones).

1 Like