L5 USA blocked due to an update!

I have big problems with my Librem 5 USA:

I made new updates and when I want to restart, you can’t type my passwords into the phone, I even tried to plug in a USB keyboard and a USB mouse but it’s not recognized

Can you help me URGENTLY have it on it?

1 Like

No worries: @FranklyFlawless

1 Like

Are you running PureOS byzantium?

1 Like

Yes, I am running PureOS byzantium.

1 Like

I wonder if it is related to this issue:

2 Likes

Use Jumpdrive to access and/or backup the device.

2 Likes

What do I do next when I access my device?

Is there a file of the last update to be erased (e.g. in the lib folder or others) to normally access my device through the touch screen?

1 Like

That depends on what went wrong - and what you want to do about it.

If it was a kernel update then the previous kernel should still be present and, yes, you may be able to revert to the previous kernel. You would need to use Jumpdrive to see what kernels are there.

In some reported cases of boot problems the /boot partition has filled up - so you would want to check how full that partition is using Jumpdrive.

Alternatively, you can use Jumpdrive to copy any personal files etc. and then you can reflash the phone. That would be the cleanest and most reliable option - since we don’t know what exactly is the state of your phone.

1 Like

After successfully inputting the LUKS encryption key, I suggest cloning your device’s partitions, backing up any important files and/or folders, then reflashing the Librem 5 with a new PureOS image.

What file is he in?

I would have liked to have access to the device before I had to reflash;
There are apps that I had installed (which are too slow for the librem) that I couldn’t clean up either, so I don’t want them in my backup.

Most of my important files were already on my miniSD card since the phone has too little space.

On the other hand, the Waydroid data backup is incomplete and it bothers me;

Is there a way to access Pureos parameter configuration data for the mobile network section from Jumpdrive?

1 Like

Yes, the mms file is located at this (hidden) directory:

/home/purism/.mms/modemmanager/
2 Likes

I don’t see the information I entered in “access point names”

1 Like

The mms file has this boilerplate template:

[Modem Manager]
CarrierMMSC=
MMS_APN=
CarrierMMSProxy=
DefaultModemNumber=
AutoProcessOnConnection=
AutoProcessSMSWAP=
IMSI=

[Settings]
UseDeliveryReports=
TotalMaxAttachmentSize=
MaxAttachments=
AutoCreateSMIL=
ForceCAres=

The MMS_APN field should be populated with the telecommunication carrier’s specified URL for MMS support, along with every other aforementioned field.

1 Like

Everything is in the directory tree at /boot

For example, on my phone ls -1F output

boot.scr
boot.scr.bak
config-6.5.0-1-librem5
config-6.6.0-1-librem5
dtb@
dtb-6.5.0-1-librem5@
dtb-6.6.0-1-librem5@
dtbs/
grub/
initrd.img-6.5.0-1-librem5
initrd.img-6.6.0-1-librem5
lost+found/
System.map-6.5.0-1-librem5
System.map-6.6.0-1-librem5
vmlinuz-6.5.0-1-librem5
vmlinuz-6.6.0-1-librem5

So you can see that there are basically two sets of files, one for 6.6.0-1 and one for 6.5.0-1

and the higher numbered one is what I am actually running and the other one is what I was previously running prior to the most recent kernel update.

However I think that you will not be able to change the kernel from the host computer. I have never done it but I think you would need to run Jumpdrive on the phone, then telnet into the phone from the host computer, and then use the flash-kernel command. (Exact command line is in this forum.)

And for me df /boot says that the boot partition is 45% full, which is satisfactory.

I think @FranklyFlawless was just suggesting that you clone the whole disk before the reflash i.e. using Jumpdrive create a disk image of the entire current contents of the phone’s disk to a disk image file on the host computer. That way you can retrieve any file that you need at any time in the future.

It may depend on what information you are specifically seeking. Does APN refer to MMS or just to general mobile network connection? If the former, @FranklyFlawless pointed you at the file. If the latter then /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections is a directory that will contain the required config file.

1 Like

Precisely that’s what I was looking for, but when I try to copy it, he tells me Error I don’t have permission (there is a small cross on the files and in the properties, the permits are locked) : Why ?

1 Like

Since a .nmconnection file may contain a WiFi Pre-Shared Key, or something similar, in plain text, such a file must restrict local access - and probably for other good reasons. So the file is accessible to root only.

In fact, taking a file system from one Linux system to another (as applies here, via Jumpdrive) will often result in masses of permission errors anyway since there is no correlation of the identity of a user on the examining computer with the identity of a user on the computer from which the file system came.

So the default assumption should be that you need root access.

If you only want to grab one file then

sudo cp ...srcfile... ...dstfile...

should do the trick.

In this particular case ...srcfile... would be something like
/your-mount-pt/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/xyz.nmconnection

1 Like

Thank you very much the cp command works.

I would have liked to know where the case contains the Calendar data?

1 Like

The calendar.ics file is located at this (hidden) directory:

/home/purism/.local/share/evolution/calendar/system/

The telephone displays: “Error” “/dev/mmcb1k0 could not be opened, possible eMMC defect” - I feel like he’s been in JumpDrive mode for too long and the phone had to offload despite the fact that it was plugged in USB.

Have you ever had this problem?

Can I run flashing with an eMMC defect?

1 Like

No, and probably not.