L5 with FCC/CE. Difference?

whats the difference if you have a L5 without CE/FCC? AFAIK, it is just a certificate that tells you this product is certified and beside that it doesn’t have a difference, right?

I decided to get it without certificate. Can’t wait any longer :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

It’s already certified with FCC.

CE requirements: https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/product-requirements/labels-markings/ce-marking/index_en.htm

2 Likes

CE is a generic mark that states that the product is compliant to any relevant standard; it is relevant for many different categories from medical devices to lifts and electronic devices. Usually if you see it without a number (4 digits) on the side, it is a self-declaration, while with the number it was issued by a notified body (identified by the 4-digit number).

Appliable directives should be those on electromagnetic compatibility (EMC directive 2014/30/EU), that on radio equipment (Directive 2014/53/EU) and the RoHS directive.

4 Likes

The Librem 5 got its FCC certification on July 18. As explained in the community FAQ, there is probably no difference in Evergreen pre- and post-certification, because the schematics haven’t changed since Nov 20, 2020: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/community-wiki/-/wikis/Frequently-Asked-Questions#111-when-did-the-librem-5-get-its-fcc-and-ce-certifications

I can’t figure out how the Librem 5’s SAR measurements compare with other phones, and frankly that is the only reason why you should care about the FCC certification, beyond the fact that some governments won’t allow the phone to be imported without it.

2 Likes

Certain radio services in the US require the certification sticker to be visible on the radio/phone (usually in the battery compartment) before the device is considered legal for use. But I don’t think this applies to cell phones. None of my cell phones from the larger manufacturers have ever had that sticker on them. And most phones these days don’t even have a battery compartment that is accessible by the user. So as long as the certification can be found on the FCC website, that should be all that is needed. If you make board-level tweaks (changing resistors or capacitors to be different values), that could void your phone’s certification though. But inserting a new modem shouldn’t be a problem.