Lack of GUI in Librem 11

After working correctly for a time, my Librem 11 suddenly started doing something weird. After completing the entire login sequence (entering password once for disk decryption and again for user login), it boots to just a terminal. This is a “GUI terminal” in the sense that PureOS’s window manager is running (I can tap and drag it around the screen, and there is a red “X” button on the upper right of the terminal window), but I can’t actually run any apps except for this terminal window.

My (very uninformed) guess is that Wayland isn’t booting up correctly, but I don’t know enough technical details to troubleshoot this. Does anyone have any ideas about how to address this?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

There may be some merit in posting some screenshots.

Is the network coming up so that you can access the network from the Librem 11 and/or another computer can access the Librem 11 from the network?

Was the “suddenly” after some updates were installed?

Does the system journal show any relevant messages?

Can you start apps if you start them from the terminal?

What happens if you close that terminal?

Can you do a Live Boot in order to demonstrate whether things can work normally?

1 Like

Try restarting the Phosh service:

sudo systemctl restart phosh

After that, reenter your credentials on the login screen, then let us know if the issue is resolved or not.

It sounds to me like you installed some other packages/ desktop environment / window manager and that overrode whatever Phosh had installed to start up the mobile UI.

This would explain why you have a session starting up with a terminal window only (some minimal or tiling window manager maybe?) with an X button (therefore there IS some kind of window manager or compositor handling the window decorations).

No one can really help without explaining how you ended up in this state… However a restart of Phosh as @FranklyFlawless suggested would support that hypothesis (then we just have to figure out how to make Phosh the default again)

1 Like

Thanks for the input. I did “sudo systemctl restart phosh” per @FranklyFlawless and that did partially resolve the problem. It was “partial” because A) I have to do it every time I turn the device on (as @pajuky seemed to guess), and more importantly B) for some reason once phosh is started the “Console”/terminal app doesn’t seem to start up (I’ve tried it several times in multiple sessions).

I don’t know how I managed to do this. I may have been tweaking things while trying to get screen recording to work, but I don’t know.

So to summarize the current state and answer some of the questions from @irvinewade along the way…

The booting and disk decryption process appears normal. The first deviation from expected behavior is at the login screen, which is a standard desktop login screen rather than the phosh login screen. After login, there is some sort of graphical window manager and/or compositor. It produces a single terminal window inside some sort of graphical compositor/window manager or similar (I’ll post a picture shortly). I can drag the window around the screen by touch, and when I close it by pressing the X button it just logs out of the session and returns me to the login screen. It is possible to start graphical applications from this terminal.

If I run “sudo systemctl restart phosh” from this terminal, it logs out and goes to the phosh login screen. After logging in there, I have a standard phosh session which appears to work as designed, with the exception that the Console application refuses to launch. (Other apps I have tried work, including much more resource-intensive ones such as Minetest.)

I did take a look at the system journal, but I’m not familiar enough with it to be able to find a relevant section quickly. If I find something that seems helpful (or if I receive any suggestions for where to look), I’ll post a picture of it. I did run a few tests on a session without starting phosh. I ran

journalctl | grep "Jul 02 12:" | grep wayland

and

journalctl | grep "Jul 02 12:" | grep phosh

Both of these didn’t return anything, indicating that (probably) neither wayland nor phosh is being run in the startup sequence. In contrast, both “wayland” and “phosh” show up several times in the system journal from logins from when the device was initially working correctly.

Regarding Live Boot…I did do a live boot from one of the USB drives provided by Purism. It booted into a standard desktop PureOS session (i.e. without phosh), so it was effectively unusable on the touch screen, but it did work.

I could presumably write the output of

journalctl | grep "Jul 02 12:"

to a file and upload it if anyone wanted to look at it. It’s ~600 lines long though, and I don’t know which section is relevant, so I won’t post it here for now.

Thanks!

1 Like

1 Like

@dos may be able to troubleshoot your issue.

If you want to continue to troubleshoot this then I would say reboot and then once you get the terminal

sudo systemctl status phosh

i.e. rather than restarting it blind, ask what state it is in at that point. I guess there are two possibilities. 1. It never started. 2. It started but failed.

If it were me, I would probably restore a backup image or, if none, reinstall from scratch - but of course I don’t know what your time and effort spent so far in customising etc. is.

1 Like

Doing as @irvinewade instructed, I got the following output. (I’m only giving the relevant lines.)

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/phosh.service; disabled; preset: enabled)
Active: inactive (dead)

I would be mostly happy with the solution of just reinstalling the operating system; I haven’t invested much effort in setting up the device yet. I did consider this, but since the Live Boot attempt gave me a non-phosh desktop session, I assumed that would be the result of reinstalling PureOS, so I didn’t pursue that option. Some quick searches for “Librem 11 factory reset” and the like didn’t return anything helpful. If there are instructions for installing a version with phosh, that may be the best bet.

My only other concern with reinstalling is that I may end up causing this problem again inadvertently later and not knowing how to resolve it without reinstalling. But I guess that’s what backups are for :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, here are instructions for reflashing the Librem 11:

OK, so if I am reading that right, somehow you have disabled the phosh service. So try

sudo systemctl enable phosh

then reboot.

1 Like

Thanks @irvinewade for that command—that solved the problem. And thanks to everyone for the help; I appreciate it very much!

2 Likes