i’m seeking a laptop satisfying some (in my fantasies, all) of these criteria:
- less than £600, preferably less than £500 (yes, the use of £ means it will be ordered from and delivered to the uk, which leads to the next item)
- preferably from a company with a presence in the uk (prior to brexit i would have been equally happy with a company in europe, but now i’d like to avoid the hassle and extra cost)
- preferably from a company with a focus on linux who will make sure all the hardware works well with linux
- the fewer non-free binary blobs needed the better, but this is not a crucial requirement
- repairable (e.g., access to spare parts) or robust against injury or both (the person this computer is for is prone to injuring their laptops)
i’m aware of juno computer, entroware, and star labs as uk-based sellers of linux laptops. (i think there was also station x, but they seem to have disappeared.) are there any others?
the star labs starlite might be a solution to this, but i’m wondering if there are other good options i should consider.
unfortunately, the price of a librem 14 means it is not an alternative.
long live libre software and hardware!