Last update phone stopped working

Well that worked, I now have a working albeit clean Librem5 again. Now time to reconfigure and make a backup, because thats something I learned the hard way.

Thanks for all your help.

Adel, if I can do this, so can you :wink:

2 Likes

@michel_souris and @adel
Here’s a good command line guide for beginners. You can actually download an entire book about it as a pdf from the Conclusion section:
https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/command-line-for-beginners#1-overview

3 Likes

lol just 247 pages for beginners, I don’t want to see the Advanced User guide… Thanks anyway, downloaded and kept for reference!

2 Likes

That’s the idea.
Not to read it in one sitting. :wink:

3 Likes

:+1:

I use Jumpdrive for that. Boot Jumpdrive on your phone (again using the uuu that you used, under the hood, to reflash the phone). That exposes the one or two disks of your phone as USB disks on your host computer. Then backup in whatever way you see fit. (I use dd piped through gzip.)

2 Likes

I’ve edited the documentation and raised a Merge Request. Here’s hoping …

(Best case, I expect it will be some days before the update appears, particularly at this time of year where people are rightfully taking a break.)

3 Likes

Sounds great! But how did you get inside the locked unresponsive Librem 5? And what tools did you use? I mean what tools do I need to get the brick alive again? Im happy for you!
Hence, im not a tech linux dude.

2 Likes

I found out my battery was the problem. I replaced it with my second battery and then the phone went back to the unresponsive state where it started but I could not enter the decryption password on the frozen screen.

From there I did the reflashing as decribed above.

So you might want to check your battery or use a spare if you ordered one (always have spare batteries, I have a spare and an extra spare so three in total of which one is now defect, pending Purism support instructions on how to proceed)

1 Like

Im the wise and ordered an extra battery. But as long as librem 5 was working there seemed to be no problems at all with battery. Except for overheating with blinking light some times. But then I put the librem on my ice cold floor and temp went quickly down.

1 Like

How do you connect the jumpdrive to the librem? Any computer, may it be macbook or windows whre i connected my librem was never shown as usb disk avalaible. Only charging.

1 Like

ah, had a look and saw one jumpdrive with a cable from usb to usb-c. Maybe that would do the job?

1 Like

Hi, @adel. “Jumpdrive” here is referring to an application, not a USB drive, sometimes called “thumb drive,” or “jump drive.”

1 Like

In theory, yes. In practice, no.

I would think that there are very few people attempting to use Windows or Mac as their host computer with the Librem 5. So if you want easy access to assistance then you want a Linux computer.

That only happens if the Librem 5 boots the Jumpdrive software - which has to be loaded from a host computer to the Librem 5. For this purpose the host computer connects to the Librem 5 using a USB cable. (Any USB cable should suffice as long as it has a USB-C connector at the Librem 5 end and an appropriate connector at the host end.)

However you don’t need Jumpdrive for reflashing.

1 Like

It has been pointed out to me that Purism has upstreamed a package called librem5-flash-image

So that dispenses completely with the need for git and that will also install the needed dependencies (uuu, usbutils and various python3* packages) if not already. On the other hand, it also means that for customers who are running a suitable version of a suitable distro, those instructions are even more out-of-date.

The only wrinkle is that I don’t know what version of each distro that Purism package first appeared in.

What I can confirm is that Ubuntu 22.04 LTS (jammy) does have that package. Based on the Ubuntu web site, it looks as if Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (focal) does not have that package. lunar (23.04) and mantic (23.10) also contain that package. noble (24.04) will contain that package, barring the unforeseen. So that covers all the supported Ubuntu releases.

Maybe @amarok could give us the answers for Mint?

3 Likes

It is in debian bookworm, trixie, and sid (but one update behind in bookwoorm)

3 Likes

The Mint repo does not include:

• uuu
  • jumpdrive
  • any package containing the word “librem”

There could be relevant flatpaks, I suppose, but can not confirm.

1 Like

… what version though?

Without the uuu command the librem5-flash-image package can’t really be in the repo.

Anyway, that’s less convenient!

The script to set up and boot Jumpdrive probably isn’t in any repo.

3 Likes

That was Mint 20.3. I note that uuu is present in 21.1 (my newest machine running Mint… I haven’t upgraded my older machines yet.)

Still no librem5-flash-image in the Software Manger (v. 21.1), however, it is found with apt search. (Wasn’t found by apt search in 20.3.)

2 Likes

Right. Actually, looking at Linux Mint - Wikipedia Mint should be easy to answer.

Mint 20.x (U*) ✘
Mint 21.x (V*) :heavy_check_mark:

based on the info for Ubuntu that I posted.

Aside: Nothing wrong with that. Support is until April 2025. It’s 2024 now though, so the clock is ticking. :wink:

1 Like

Correct. I have no need to upgrade them for now.

1 Like