Latest gnome-calls very unstable

Save file

https://damo.math.aegean.gr/~atsol/gnome-calls_43~beta.0-1pureos1_arm64.deb

and then

sudo apt-get install ./gnome-calls_43~beta.0-1pureos1_arm64.deb

+1

(The forum wants at least 10 chars on reply, so here they are)

OK, try

ls -lt /var/log/apt/history.log*

Then, starting with the newest files …

For an uncompressed file

grep packagename file

For a compressed file (.gz)

zcat file | grep packagename

until you find the bad upgrade (which was presumably quite recent and won’t be hard to find).

New system upgrade available today and the non-working gnome-calls 44~alpha.0-1 lurking to upgrade.
Here is what to do to upgrade everything BUT gnome-calls:

sudo apt-mark hold gnome-calls
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

To restore upgrade of gnome-calls do:

sudo apt-mark unhold gnome-calls

2 Likes

Maybe it’s wise to let the update happen and see if the issue was fixed.

If you are a brave soul…

People need the phone as a phone. So better upgeade when calls is at least “beta” and not “alpha” as it is now.

1 Like

We are also somewhat testers of this new phone to help to make the things better. I have installed:

purism@pureos:~$ apt info gnome-calls 2> /dev/null | grep -i version
Version: 44~alpha.0-1pureos1

and until now I’ve not faced anything wrong during the calls I made.

I have newer version and calls v44alpha has serious issues:

`[purism@pureos ~]$ cat /proc/cmdline

u_boot_version=2022.10-gc4960dade2 console=ttymxc0,115200 quiet fsck.repair=yes security=apparmor splash plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles vt.global_cursor_default=0

Sorry, this info about cat /proc/cmdline was a wrong cut&paste. I corrected it already. I wanted to show the version of gnome-calls.

I am holding off for a while. When I tried the alpha version a couple of days ago, it just kept ringing on an incoming call and didn’t stop until killed. That is, however, similar to the problem I had with my other L5 running gnome-calls 43.0 before I switched. Never got any help troubleshooting that one mentioned here (sorry for the subject line, can’t change it). So it might not be a gnome-calls issue, but it is strange to have a similar problem on two different phones with different versions of gnome-calls.

I did two tests right now:

I called my L5 from another phone in the other hand and stopped the calling from this phone, i.e. without picking the call up in the L5.

I called my L5 again, picked up the call in the L5 this time.

In both cases the ringing stopped fine in the moment of hang-up or pick-up.

@guru I will do the same tests when I have the time. Do you have the latest alpha version on both?

Ooops, I think it was relating somehow… OK

The other phone was my business iPhone which I have to use for my work to generate some RSA token for VPN, i.e. please don’t blame me :slight_smile: “owning” this.

For me the 44~alpha did not have this issue all the time. Sometimes it was working flawlessly. Some other times it kept ringing after call pickup. Sometimes (not always) its window crashed although the call continued to be in progress.

So there is no way to test this by just an experiment. The single experiment may pass. Something became unstable when first time 44~aplha was installed. At that time there was a couple of other OS packages installed. Can someone check which were those? Maybe it is true that gnome-calls was not the one that triggered this behavior.

3 Likes

I’ve reported this issue as https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/calls/-/issues/535.

Now I installed the package from https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/calls/-/merge_requests/647. Lets see if the issue is fixed by this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Interesting, may be related, but also may not. My phone(s) have kept ringing also with incoming calls from known contacts.

I have gnome-call vers 44~alpha.0-1pureos1 installed.
Mine does the same, (1) not picking up when receiving an incoming call from my contacts and (2) forever ringing, despite toggling the cellular hardware kill switch to kill the cellular modem. To get the ringing to stop, I reboot the L5 from the pull-down menu. I have VoLTE enabled, in the USA (T-Mobile). As it stands, receiving calls on my L5 is now broken.

I’m using 44~alpha.0-1pureos1 and my phone has been working great. For both recieving and making calls. I am using the VoLTE enabled though. not sure if that matters.

1 Like