Latest gnome-calls very unstable

It seems to work for me (I had the problem with each call) .

For the bad audio quality, I created this issue.

1 Like

Another thing I observed is, when Iā€™m on a call and I get another call, I loose the audio on my current call and canā€™t answer the incoming call. The person on the original call, hears the vibrating but canā€™t hear me trying to talk to them. I have to reboot the phone to stop the ringing and vibrating.
I installed @evangelos.tzaras suggestion, havenā€™t tested that yet.

I have that too.

Here is an issue about that:

1 Like

The sooner you update the better

1 Like

@evangelos.tzaras this link isnā€™t working for me?

The link downloads a .deb file for me. What error message do you get?

ok, now it worked:) before I got a 404 error. but I think that was due to my vpn.

sorry about that. thx!

1 Like

A fixed version has landed in byzantium making it available via the usual upgrade paths.

Thanks for the reports and testing!

6 Likes

Thanks for the update! Unfortunately, the audio quality for people that call me is still not good.

I also had a crash.

Thanks for the update. No crashes and excellent audio quality. First flawless call experience with my L5.

2 Likes

Today I faced for the first time that an incoming call which was hung-up by the calling party because I could not pick it up for being busy, didnā€™t ended ring. I had to reboot the L5 to stop it.

The gnome-calls version is recently installed
44~alpha.1-1pureos1. And btw: it says:

apt info gnome-calls
 Besides phone calls it also handles USSD.

which is not true as we know. Is there a bug issue filed for this not ending ringing? If not Iā€™m willing to create it. The call was from a land-line phone to my L5 and the calling party was in my contacts, if this does matter.

After the latest Calls update i can make calls and audio quality is great, but there is no call placement ring tone on the L5, i have set the phone to silent, but i think the tone should be still heard even with the silent sound setting?

Due to missing ringtone its sometimes not clear if the person on the other line is just waiting for me to say something so i say Hello!? Hellllo!? about 5 times :wink:

This one I suppose:

Calls Application and Microphone Permissions

I have a similar situation of no outgoing sound in calls, although I believe in my case it may be a problem of app permissions rather than the Calls app itself. More experienced users might be able to tell me how to fix this, or they might advise me to start a separate thread or even to report it as an OS deficiency. Suggestions will be welcomed.

With settings for my VoIP provider in the Calls app, the app works beautifully, except that there is no outgoing sound. (No problem with ringing whether for incoming or outgoing call; the ringing stops as it should when the call is picked up. Incoming audio is high quality and smooth.)

(I have not tried Calls on a cellular network and do not intend to use the Librem-5 for cellular calling in the country where I live.)

The hardware switch for microphone and camera is turned on.

In Settings>Sound>Input>[Handset Microphone - Built-in Audio]
the indicator line of dashes responds strongly to sounds, showing that the microphone can communicate with the OS.

Downgrading to 43-beta version made no difference. I have reverted to the latest 44-alpha.

The contents of Settings>Privacy>Microphone suggest the possibility of a Permissions problem. The following two paragraphs appear there:

ā€œUse of the microphone allows applications to record and listen to audio. Disabling the microphone may cause some applications to not function properly.ā€

ā€œAllow the applications below to use your microphone.ā€

Below those paragraphs there is a box with the further message:
ā€œNo Applications Have Asked for Microphone Accessā€

It appears that there should be a drop-down menu of apps, or some facility for writing the name of an app (specifically Calls in this case) in the box, to allow the app to use the microphone. However, those things do not exist on the page, or anywhere else that I can find in the GUI. I am not keen to delve into udev rules to fix this problem.

I have a vague memory that, during the initial setup 7 weeks ago, there was a question about app permissions for mic and camera. I may have opted not to allow access, assuming that this could be easily reversed. That does not seem to be the case.

I have started a new topic for this issue, because it seems to be different from the matters dealt with in this thread or another no-mic thread already in existence.