Let's crowdfund some development to get PureOS Crimson ready for L5!

You may be misunderstanding that “NOTE” however.

2 Likes

I trust you more than Purism at this point to deliver!

FYI to everyone: He’s working on raising funds to work on Crimson himself! I imagine you’ll be able to find links on Linmob’s blog in the next update.

2 Likes

+1

As Purism is focusing ridiculously in Government Business, it looks that Purism abandoned the community. Crimson development stopped a year ago and it seems that purism does not care to resume the project for us.

The government or NATO or Whatever does not need Librem 5 as a secure device, as government already has Google providing 200% security Opensource Linux devices via Android on Nexus devices.

2 Likes

I’ve consolidated the information from this thread and a bit from my own research into a single location in the Librem 5 wiki under the FAQ: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/community-wiki/-/wikis/Frequently-Asked-Questions#9-fund-development

There is likely missing information, so feel free to correct any mistake I may have made. I wanted a centralized place to find this information for other people’s convenience. It’s difficult and unreasonable to ask people to read through over 300 replies to this thread just to find the relevant links so I’ve taken that time for everyone else.

8 Likes

I’m not sure who you want to include, but the Megapixels developer is doing work that specifically benefits L5 camera needs. I noticed he has a librepay too
https://liberapay.com/MartijnBraam (Patreon: martijnbraa)

6 Likes

I’m not a gatekeeper for this community wiki so anyone is free to add who they wish to add. I’ve taken the liberty to add them at your recommendation though.

6 Likes

As an aside: there’s been some talk online lately about what’s going on in EU regarding funding of open projects. The impact study on EU funding shows good results on quite a few open projects (I didn’t know so many got EU funding - see pages 34-35 and 38-64): NGI Impact Study: Unveiling the NGI impact in shaping Europe's digital future | Next Generation Internet The problem is that this seems to have been deleted from the next upcoming funding program.

So, A) if you are from these parts, send messages to appropriate entities (see end of this page), and, B) I hope one/some of these linux phone HW and SW projects could use something like this to get financial support.

5 Likes

There is a new blog: PureOS Crimson Development Report: July 2024. It starts with “thanks to our subscribers” and gives then a great overview of recent Crimson related development.

6 Likes

This deserves its own topic.

3 Likes

Just a reminder to everyone: please donate here https://liberapay.com/devrtz-PureOS_crimson

4 Likes

@dcz is continuing their work on mobile Linux thanks to the NLnet foundation: https://fosstodon.org/@dcz/113033804851625987

#Wayland #inputmethod team GO!

I assembled a team to continue work I started for #mobilelinux with #phosh , #squeekboard and #librem5 .

We’re going to finish the mobile side of screen-based input, and also try to properly bring traditional input methods (like for Chinese) to Wayland.

Thanks @nlnet for providing the motivation.

Watch this account!

#cjk#touchscreen#osk

10 Likes

Ever since I switched to Mobian (and not once thought of going back to Byzantium) on my L5 I was wondering why it needs both PureOS and Mobian. Can someone explain to me (or refer me to the forum posts if already discussed) why Purism doesn’t merge with Mobian to use synergies?
Put differently, will efforts put into developing Crimson/PureOS also benefit Mobian? Why doesn’t Purism focus on hardware and perhaps contributing some L5 hardware specific software development to Mobian so that there can be one bleeding edge system for the L5 instead of two half-baked ones?
Perhaps this is already basically the case. Perhaps it’s not as simple as it sounds. Please someone explain to me.

2 Likes

Not in any way ever speaking on behalf of Purism but my 2¢ …

1. Purism intends to upstream what they can into Debian. That could benefit Mobian. That could benefit other distros as well. That could lead to the question (in the long term) … why does either PureOS or Mobian need to exist for the Librem 5?
  2. There could be some merit in having a single consistent distro across all the Purism hardware. This is doubly so with convergence where you would have to justify any inconsistencies between, say, the experience on the Librem 14 and the experience on the Librem 5 when in convergence mode.

It is also not clear to me whether Mobian specifically meets the goals of purity, for example, if PureOS sought FSF “certification”.

3 Likes

It’s an interesting question, especially now when Purism is lagging behind with PureOS Crimson.

Part of the background I think is that when the Librem 5 was first developed, Mobian did not even exist. Purism needed to have an operating system that would support the Librem 5, and PureOS was a way to solve that. Waiting for something like Mobian to exist would probably not have worked; I think the Librem 5 itself played some part in Mobian coming into existence, and the Librem 5 would not have existed without PureOS.

Then there is the matter of different choices made when maintaining a GNU/Linux distribution. With PureOS, Purism can make their own decisions. One example where this matters is in the choice of defaults, for example on PureOS we get Duckduckgo as default search engine, while in Mobian the default is Google (at least it was last time I tested it). And as @irvinewade said there is the FSF endorsement, where PureOS is on the FSF list of “Free GNU/Linux distributions” while Mobian is not.

In my opinion, it is good that Purism maintains PureOS and I really hope they manage to continue with that. For me as a Librem 5 user it means that I have someone to turn to with software-related issues, which sets Purism apart from other companies selling hardware who don’t care much about software.

8 Likes

Thanks for your replies.

And that is one point I don’t quite understand. I am wondering why, for example, energy consumption apparently is so much better on Byzantium. Is it that Purism maintains their tweaks for an older kernel but not for a newer one used in Trixie? So as PureOS gets lifted to lets say Crimson (or probably would need an even more up to date version?), Purism’s contributions would then benefit Mobian/Trixie? I simply don’t know how this works. But if going back to square one explanations is too much an effort, don’t bother. :wink:

Makes total sense.

Definitely makes total sense and might be one key reason.

I agree, and I am happy they did that and pushed Gnome on mobile!

Generally, I share your opinion on that (even though I have great faith in the Debian community!). I just hope that this won’t create too many inefficiencies and double work for both projects and ultimately disadvantages for all. That is (still) my concern. But anyway, there are smart people at work and I’m positive they’ll manage the best feasible way - sooner or later.

1 Like