Librem 11 questions for those of you using one for a while

How does it do with external displays?
Any problems with external bluetooth mice or keyboards?
How is it in vertical mode with external bluetooth mouse and keyboard?
What tasks are difficult with these specs (processor and RAM)?
What battery life is average?
Any bluetooth audio issues?

Thank you

3 Likes

Yeah would be great to have some 6 months later reviews, how is it holding up in actual usage?

Surprisingly I’m not finding any reviews of the StarLite mk5 that came out about the same time…

1 Like

How does it do with external displays?

I don’t have first-hand experience, though it seems to work. See: https://forums.puri.sm/t/off-topic-librem-11-tablet/20272/60

Any problems with external bluetooth mice or keyboards?

I couldn’t say as I don’t own any Bluetooth devices.

How is it in vertical mode with external bluetooth mouse and keyboard?

I couldn’t say as I don’t own any Bluetooth devices.

What tasks are difficult with these specs (processor and RAM)?

I’ve not found issues with the specs themselves. I’m able to compile Rust programs reasonably well, though to be fair, they are relatively small programs.

What battery life is average?

Pretty terrible if I’m honest. I think I can get a little bit over 2 hours if I’m lucky.

This is my battery drain with active use, using PureBoot 29.

Any bluetooth audio issues?

I don’t know – I don’t own any Bluetooth devices. Supposedly there were some issues with it at 2023 of September.

I have experienced a touch bug sometimes where something is making the device think that one region of the screen is being held down (touched; location seems random every time). This makes it so that when I’m doing something like viewing images, it does a pinch-and-zoom gesture when I swipe around. Tapping the screen with multiple fingers a number of times seems to reset the multi-touch state. I couldn’t tell you how many taps are needed to work around this annoyance.

My primary use-case is with Komikku and I’ve rarely used Rnote with the included pen.

1 Like

I haven’t had any issues with my bluetooth mouse, as well as with using an external display, assuming you’re using a dongle that doesn’t require too much power. Mine has ethernet and HDMI and it sometimes takes a couple tries to get my 32" external display to come up successfully. Per my other “30 days in” post though, i’m also not using Phosh but Debian 12. Battery life as reported is not great, good enough to go from charger station A to charger station B with perhaps a bathroom break or perhaps a short flight in between, if you’re not doing anything crazy.

1 Like

i have had the device for about 5 months and use it daily as a portable laptop and e-reader. I don’t use an external display but generally use a bluetooth mouse and keyboard. I have had no issues with these peripherals or a BT speaker. I take the tablet out of the cover when working on the device for extended periods so the heat dissipation is better with the charger connected. That is why I use the BT keyboard. I generally have many windows / apps open, moving between them as needed. My battery life is about 3 hours without the charger.

I like the device. It has some limitations like the Librem 5 has when compared to Apple devices but these are computers with features that imitate the phones and tablets - I had to learn to adjust my expectations based on that reality. It is really efficient when I move between all three of my Linux “computers” using the same software and without any issues. I keep my data on a server so I can get the most current version on any of the devices.

I reloaded the operating system and it wasn’t a problem when following the posted instructions. I have been pleased with the Librem 11 and the Librem 5. Inow can leave the laptop home when I travel.

2 Likes