Librem 11 won't wake up after (unexpected) suspend/hibernate unless turned off and on again

(I will email the support if the community does not know the answer)

With power cable attached, and the following power settings:

• Power Mode: Balanced
  • Automatic Suspend: Off
  • Power Button Behavior: Nothing

— when the power button is pressed shortly, Librem 11 locks the screen and turns display off. If we press the power button again shortly afterwards, the display turns back on. Though this does not quite match the “Nothing” setting for “Power Button Behavior”, this is how I want it.

However, if the device is left alone after locking/turning the screen off for long enough, it will not wake up on pressing the power button.

The only way to wake it up is to press the power button for long (10+ seconds) after which the blue LED turns off (the device turns off), and turn it on/boot again.

What happens after leaving the device with locked screen long enough with power cable attached? Suspend? Hibernate? Why? Why doesn’t it just stay locked and ready to wake up?

2 Likes

@Greendrake I’ve seen this occasionally. I fixed an issue in PureBoot 29 that was causing failures to resume from suspend, but I omitted it from the PureBoot 29 changelog since I still saw a failure once in testing. (I think it’s improved, and it does sound like this is a second issue unrelated to suspend causing a similar problem, but I don’t list things in the changelog that aren’t totally fixed.)

Could you update your Librem 11 to PureBoot 29, if you haven’t already?

The fact that “Power Button Behavior: Nothing” doesn’t work is a known issue in Phosh. Although GNOME Settings displays the setting, Phosh doesn’t implement this one. Currently, Phosh always blanks the screen when the power button is pressed. (If automatic suspend is enabled, it’ll suspend when the idle time elapses.)

Disabling automatic suspend does work though, so this seems unrelated to suspend.

I don’t have an explanation yet of what’s happening exactly - in my tests it took >24 hours for this issue to appear, so progress has been slow. But I had suspend on, maybe disabling it will trigger the issue sooner or more reliably :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Thanks @jonathon.hall , good to know the issue is being addressed!

I just started flashing with battery fully charged but power cable disconnected, and decided it would perhaps be a good idea to connect it just in case. Now the flashing progress is stuck at 0%, although the line inside the square brackets is spinning fast:

Did connecting the power cable during the process crash it? What now, a brick? (15 minutes and still 0%, spinning) :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Your device is fine, unfortunately there is a long-standing bug in the progress bar implementation that occasionally causes it to get stuck. I’ve mitigated it a few times, but it needs a significant rework, probably including work on flashrom to have a better way to get the progress information.

The bug is just in the progress bar itself, flashing continues behind the scenes. You’ve already waited longer than 2 minutes, so you can shut the device off, boot again, and confirm that it’s on the new firmware in the system info.

3 Likes

Phew!
Installed v29 fine. Will now press the power button to turn the display off and see what happens tomorrow when I press it again. Cheers.

3 Likes

Nope, it’s the same. About 9 hours lasted since I pressed the power button. The device probably goes to sleep much earlier, I just haven’t tried to find the exact timeout.

By the way, the volume up/down buttons give sound feedback when pressed. This is something you would expect only from an awake device.

2 Likes

That’s a very interesting detail @Greendrake ! It’s possible that we’re just not turning the display back on. There is an interaction between the BIOS and EC to turn the display off/on, and it’s possible that’s not working correctly here.

I was just running some tests with suspend disabled, I kept the display on, and it was fine. I have the display shutting off again (and the sound turned up :wink: ) and hopefully I can confirm the same behavior to get it fixed.

Thank you for the testing and detailed feedback!

1 Like