Librem 13 and 15 laptops, what are the differences? Is it good for Big Data? What's the processor count?

Hi, I am a programmer now learning Java and I want to know whether I could use an IDE on these laptops to write and execute code in Java or any other coding language? Just concern because I am aware inside the FAQ from the main site states that Java plug-in isn’t pre-installed. I have been looking at the specs for both the Librem 13 and 15 and I noticed there wasn’t any mention of the processor count. Is it Quad-core (4), less or more?

Doesn’t any of the laptops comes with VPN hardware/software?

Is the Hard disk hybrid? (HDD/SDD)

Lastly, what are the main differences between Librem 13 and 15 or isn’t there any?

I need processing power and more because things has to work with Big Data. Therefore I need to know whether Librem 13 or Librem 15 is robust enough.

Thank you for taking your time to read this and in advance for answering.

I can only answer a couple of your points.

The products page lists the Intel Core i7 6500U for both the Librem 13 and 15 laptops. Intel says this CPU is dual-core with hyperthreading (4 total threads).

I believe the only major difference between the laptops is the screen size, but use the aforementioned products page link to explore all the specs.

I don’t see any VPN software installed on mine, but PureOS being Debian-based, you could install any Debian-compatible VPN software you’d like, including OpenVPN.

There are customization options for the disk type when you shop, but traditional spinning platters (HDD) and hybrid HDD/SSD are not options. You can choose various sizes for the NVMe slot and 2.5" SATA3 slot, with only SSD options available. It won’t let you purchase without selecting at least one storage device, but if this is a deal-breaker for you I’m sure you could message the team and order one without any storage, bringing your own hybrid disk that you buy.

I’m not a programmer, so I don’t know about the Java question. My gut feeling is that you can install whatever you want (these laptops are all about freedom, after all), and I’d be highly surprised if you couldn’t.

These are both modern laptops using modern CPUs. Both are capable of full virtualization. Running Java on them is a matter of installing it alone. Developing with Java through a IDE is even more trivial.

And if your performance needs are such that you are concerned about it, might I suggest that you shouldn’t be looking at laptop class CPUs to begin with?