Librem 13 v2 Hardware Specs

Can you please list the makes, models and specs for the following hardware options available for the new Librem 13 v2. Thank you very much.

Memory
Storage (M.2 SSD)
Storage (2.5" SATA)

1 Like

Who is the manufacturer and what are the model specs for the memory and storage? I want to place an order, please answer asap so I can decide on spec. Love what you guys are doing!

Memory is 2133 MHz.

We are using Samsung disks, so you can easily find their specs on Samsung website:

Storage 2.5" SATA:
---

500 GB HDD	?
1 TB HDD	?
250 GB SSD	Samsung 850 EVO (SATA 6 Gb/s)
500 GB SSD	Samsung 850 EVO (SATA 6 Gb/s)
1 TB SSD	Samsung 850 EVO (SATA 6 Gb/s)

Storage M.2 SSD:
---

250 GB		Samsung 850 EVO (SATA 6 Gb/s)
500 GB		Samsung 850 EVO (SATA 6 Gb/s)
512 GB		Samsung 950 PRO (PCIe 3.0 x4 (up to 32Gb/s) NVMe 1.1)
1 TB		Samsung 850 EVO (SATA 6 Gb/s)

Don’t take this for granted, I need to confirm model numbers with our assembly line.

1 Like

If you already have a Samsung SATA SSD and or M.2 SSD is it simply a case of plug and play? Does coreboot have bios options similar to the standard American Megatrends?

It is plug and play. Coreboot itself doesn’t have any options (even the AMI bios has no options if you actually enter its setup), but coreboot itself will boot SeaBIOS which detects your drives and allows you to select your boot device.

Thanks. Can you boot from M.2 SSD PCIe? I read some motherboards do not allow the M.2 SSD PCIe as boot device?

Yes, the “NVMe” 512GB option that Mladen mentionned is the PCIe SSD. I’ve tested the new librem v2 with coreboot and NVMe drives, and it works just fine.

So if I order my new Librem 13 without any storage, my Samsung 960 PRO V-NAND NVMe PCIE M.2 will work fine as boot device and can install Qubes flawlessly?

1 Like

It should work, yes.

1 Like

i join the topic for give to kakaroto all my appreciation for his job, i was reading his blogpost like a bible, really impressing, i wait for more
i also have a question, when you will release libreboot, will be possible to have a kind of options menu for fans, boot order and other basic stuff other bios have? how hardware is managed with no visible “options”? the bios is running on uefi or legacy mode?

Thanks for quick reply!

I saw on some pics that the memory sticks have the purism logo on them? What is the make and model for your memory modules?

It’s a shame there wasn’t much demand for 32GB. I am sure this is going to best the best laptop ever though!!! I cannot wait any longer!

Where did you see pictures with the Purism logo onto memory sticks? (never saw that, myself)

We don’t make the RAM, it’s just standard high-quality RAM. For what it’s worth, I was once sent a testing unit and it was Crucial memory (so I’m simply presuming it will still be Crucial, @goran-stevanovic could correct me if I’m wrong). The exact model number doesn’t really matter once you know the brand and specs (2133 MHz DDR4), memory makers don’t make more than one model with the exact same specs, as far as I know.

1 Like

What is the fastest MHz ram the new Librem 13 supports?

Legacy. (darn character limit!)

I don’t know where the RAM stick picture with the Purism logo is from. It was there before me. I guess that the Purism branding is there to avoid specifying any brand on the website as this is just an illustration and RAM brand may change from models to models.

Anyway, I can confirm that the Librem 13 v1 shipped with Crucial RAM. This is what I have in mine.

1 Like
Storage 2.5" SATA:
---

250 GB SSD	Samsung 850 EVO
500 GB SSD	Samsung 850 EVO
1 TB SSD	Samsung 850 EVO
2 TB SSD	Samsung 850 EVO
4 TB SSD	Samsung 850 EVO

Storage M.2 SSD:
---
SATA:
250 GB		Samsung 850 EVO
500 GB		Samsung 850 EVO
1 TB		Samsung 850 EVO
NVMe:
500 GB		Samsung 960 EVO
1 TB		Samsung 960 EVO

What is the current situation today regarding RAM and the SSDs (M.2 and 2.5"), are the Samsung 860/970 EVOs on the horizon?

I would be very helpful to have this kind of information on the product/shop page too (or a link to a sticky forum post with a disclaimer that it might be outdated information). I understand it can be difficult from a logistical point of view to list the exact parts, but as a customer it is important information (not necessarily the exact parts, but at least to have an indication) when potentially spending an extra 700 USD on upgrades (16GB RAM, 500 GB for both M.2 and 2.5").

When not knowing what you’re buying into, the alternative of sourcing those components myself becomes tempting in order to prevent unpleasant surprises. I don’t mind spending extra on the components I buy from you guys (I love what you are doing!!), but knowing this makes all the difference!

I would assume this is limited by the CPU. The main product page indicates the CPU is the Core i7 6500U (Skylake). The corresponding Intel product page indicates memory speed is 2133 Mhz.