Librem 13v2/Arch Linux: Trackpad is broken after update

Yesterday, I did an update with pacman -Syu and after I rebooted normally, the trackpad didn’t seem to be working. If I choose the “fallback” option at boot, the trackpad works fine. My understanding from this and my five minute reading of the mkinitcpio page is that my initiramfs is now missing a module (or modules) that enable trackpad support.

Do you know what module I’m missing, and how I should configure mkinitcpio to add it to my initramfs?

(Sorry if this is a newb question, but I’m pretty new to Arch and I guess this is what I get for using Antergos to set it up instead of doing it manually.)

1 Like

What kernel are you using, and what version is it?

1 Like

It’s the default kernel that comes with Arch, version 4.12.8-2:

[aarmea@aarmea-ohm ~]$ pacman -Ss ^linux$
core/linux 4.12.8-2 (base) [installed]
    The Linux kernel and modules
[aarmea@aarmea-ohm ~]$ uname -a
Linux aarmea-ohm 4.12.8-2-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Aug 18 14:08:02 UTC 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux
1 Like

Do you know what was the previous version you had installed, before the update? You can check this in your /var/log/pacman.log.

1 Like

I suppose if you boot into your previous kernel it would work too…

I don’t know Arch, but if you need to search around for the specific driver/model of trackpad, you should look for something related to “elantech” touchpads (if I’m not mistaken, this would be the main driver source code in Linux).

1 Like

Yeah, I am trying to figure out what was the previous version.

@aarmea, you can simply roll-back to previous kernel version, if you haven’t cleaned you package cache. Check /var/cache/pacman/pkg folder, search for “linux-4.*” packages. If your previous version was “4.12.8-1” for example, then run this command in terminal:

pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/linux-4.12.8-1-x86_64-pkg.tar.xz

1 Like

Or just give us the output of ls -l /var/cache/pacman/pkg/linux* command.

1 Like

I’m not sure the kernel is the issue here since that hasn’t been touched for a couple of weeks:

[aarmea@aarmea-ohm ~]$ ls -l /var/cache/pacman/pkg/linux*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 67789680 Aug 12 01:14 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/linux-4.12.6-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 67802268 Aug 17 00:55 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/linux-4.12.8-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 67754092 Aug 18 07:32 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/linux-4.12.8-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   872856 Aug  9 20:21 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/linux-api-headers-4.10.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

Here’s about a month’s worth of /var/log/pacman.log which might be more useful: https://gist.github.com/aarmea/85d11b7cd22ec412f16ca075c5a0dd91

1 Like

Yes, indeed. My suggestion is then to what packages were upgraded when the problem started and to try reverting them one by one. Also, please give me following output: lsmod with both normal and fallback boot mode.

1 Like

I ran lsmod with both – here’s the outputs: https://gist.github.com/aarmea/852a352278020eacbea5c47a2208aadf.

However, when I rebooted using the normal, non-fallback image to run lsmod, I noticed that the trackpad is working again even though I had not rebuilt the image. I’ll continue booting from the non-fallback image for now and I’ll let you know (with a new lsmod output) if the issue pops up again.

Thanks for the quick responses.

1 Like