Librem 14 ear bud headset output not working

Sorry to take so long to get back on this issue. Now solved with update of BIOS & system software.
Thanks to all who helped solve.

Hello,
It seems that I have the same problem of headset output not working and after reading all the posts, it is still not clear to me what I should do to fix it. Iā€™m not very ā€œeffectiveā€ in computer and rather new to linux !
If I have well understood, there is two different ways to fix it depending on the fact I have ā€œCorebootā€ or ā€œPurebootā€ : how do I know wich is on my laptop (Librem14, nothing modified since Iā€™ve received it)
I have done all updates, but even with the latest update, headset output is still not working and no way to even manualy select it in sound menu of parameters.
Thanks for your help and please be indulgent with my english as Iā€™m french (at least, I hope my question is clear !)
Philippe (Reunion island)

hi Philippe, you need to download/run the coreboot utility script and use it to update your firmware as per the instructions at https://puri.sm/coreboot

1 Like

I still ned to do this. I hope it is straightforward for a newbie like me, I would hate to screw up my laptop permanently.

1 Like

The same feeling here, :fearful: I am frightened by the possibility of bricking my laptopā€¦ :sweat:
What a pity that it could not be delivered fully functional after such a long wait to get it.
:thinking: I wonder if this is a so risky operation, and would love to have feedback of anybody who already did it !

:+1: Thank you, I will give you a feedback as soon as I have done so. :thinking: In the meantime I will carefully study the procedure ! :pray:

Same here Iā€™m gonna read through it again carefully after work today and maybe run through the process afterward and hope all goes well. From the first readthrough it looks like a pretty straightforward automatic process and only takes a few minutes?
I will let you know how it went.

1 Like

Crap!

OK I did everything in the instructions and then it said to reboot for it to take affect and now the screen says

SeaBIOS (version rel-1.15.0-3-g8ee360c)

booting from hard diskā€¦

Read error

and itā€™s been sitting there for a few minutes now!!!

FYI I am on the phone with support and apparently this new firmware does not play well with the NVMe drives.
I am having to create a live boot drive first, I cannot boot the laptop.
Sounds like he wants me to try a previous version of the firmware.

UPDATE: @MrChromebox turns out support has informed the lasted version doesnā€™t work with the NVMe drives, so you have to revert back to a previous version. I did this with support, so now the auto switching to a headset or other external speaker is not automatic. Still must be done in settings manually.

auto switching isnā€™t functional yet, you have to select manually

It doenā€™t sound very serious for such expensive laptop, that has been waited for a long time. And in my case, I cannot switch to headset even manually as there is no option in the setting /parameter menuā€¦
It seems to me that I own a Ferrari butā€¦ I have only first gearā€¦
Itā€™s very disapointing and scaring so I dont even want to try to update the firmware until I will be sure that It works well, because I dont feel confident enough in case of problem.
As says the proverb : ā€œwait and seeā€ā€¦

Iā€™m confused, you have a Purism employee telling you that a firmware update will fix the issue. What more do you need to be confident?

1 Like

I confirm the firmware update worked for me.

After the firmware update, one thing to note: plugging the jack, does not automatically select the output device, you have to manually select it.

This firmware does not fix the microphone, USB microphone sensitivity is very low and adjusting sensitivity in pulse-audio, has not effect at all.

Sorry, but since I am not a computer scientist, just a user with some basic knowledge, update a firmware (when some say it can brick a computer), this is not an operation I will do without fearā€¦

:thinking: This is exactly the kind of details that will make me wait a little longer, until the firmware is more efficient (and me more confident :wink: ), because each firmware update makes take a risk (ā€¦brickā€¦) and to my point of view, the less often I will do it, the less risk I takeā€¦ :pray:

yes, thereā€™s a risk. Itā€™s not zero but itā€™s pretty damn close.

I canā€™t promise a timeframe for the fix. The risk is near-zero. So itā€™s your choice to not have working headphones for some unknowable amount of time. Youā€™re also potentially opening yourself to security risks by not running the latest CPU microcode updates, which are part of the firmware (and not a part of PureOS) - one of the main reasons we recommend users update any time there is a new firmware release

1 Like

Hi MrChromebox,
I finally get the courage up to try updating the coreboot and I have some troubles that seem related with ā€œsource.puri.sm/coreboot/utilityā€.
The command line ā€œwget https://source.puri.smā€¦ā€ (after creating and accessing ā€œupdatesā€ dir) never acceded to ā€œsource.puri.smā€¦ā€ and never got the script, even after waiting for 5 or 6 automatic new trialsā€¦
Same thing when trying to access ā€œhttps://source.puri.sm/coreboot/utilityā€ to get README file (message : Wait time is exceeded - The server at source.puri.sm takes too long to respond.)
I feel confused because my web connection is good and donā€™t know what to do or think about this updateā€¦
My only idea is that I suppose there is some issue with ā€œsource.puri.smā€ server and any help is welcome ! Thanks :pray:

I can literally click that link (to the utility repo) and the site loads ā€“ does it not for you? Itā€™s possible the server was temporarily inaccessible, but there have been no outages of which Iā€™m aware

Now, it worksā€¦ I have downloaded README file and coreboot_util.sh script. (Note that following the link, Iā€™ve got a message ā€œProject ā€˜coreboot/utilityā€™ was moved to ā€˜firmware/utilityā€™. Please update any links and bookmarks that may still have the old path.ā€ and I hope it will not cause issues with the scriptā€¦)

On the page ā€œhttps://puri.sm/projects/coreboot/ā€ screenshots donā€™t show ā€œLibrem 14ā€ as device choice. Is it just a matter of updating screenshots, or which closest device should I choose ?
Or can you confirm that (I guess) the easiest is just to run the script and follow the menu starting with this choice 1) Update firmware using precompiled image

Sorry again if my questions are a bit naive and thanks for helping ! :pray:

(Anyway, Iā€™m not going to update tonight, we just had a cyclone and Iā€™m still worried about the likely power outages and internet slowdown (maybe the reason for access problems?)

the screenshots were simply taken prior to the L14 release; when you run the script, your device will be correctly identified.

1 Like

:+1: - Itā€™s done!
I was ā€œa bitā€ nervous and I read the entire manual several timesā€¦ and everything went well (Librem 14 immediately identified!)

I chose what I thought was the easiest option: the precompiled image.

If necessary, I can post screenshots of the different steps. Feel free to ask.
Thank you very much for your help and especially your patience ! :pray:

2 Likes