Librem 14 New Laptop

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if the new Librem 14 laptop has a removable battery? And do the other laptops?

Also is it easy to get spares from Purism or elsewhere?

On a slightly different note, did anyone see the “tech giants” hearing yesterday? All of them appeared to say how great they were on privacy & security???

Are my meds wrong? Did I miss something?? :blush::sunglasses:

Lastly the Librem mini looks awesome, System76 do not disable the Intel ME on their meerkat mini, but Purism do? Strange?

Apart from high performance gaming are mini PC’S the way forward?

Thanks in advance

Tom

i believe we’ve been fed more or less the same “meds” all our life
are you referring to this article or the “hearing” in general ? > https://protonmail.com/blog/tech-ceos-hearing/
“gatekeepers” my ass …

2 Likes

Every previous Purism device has had a removable battery, so I would be shocked if the L14 didn’t have one as well.

Purism sells batteries, chargers, rubber feet, and SSD mounting kits in its web store. The charger is a standard part that you can also buy on eBay. For all other parts, you have to call the company and see what is available. Because Purism uses custom manufacturing, it can have trouble getting replacement parts that aren’t standardized, such as cases, hinges, logic boards, etc.

1 Like

Hey reC how are you?

I have not seen that Link but thanks thats very cool of you for the info, I actually watched some of the hearing from the US has it was broadcast here, I listened to person after person from the big 4 say how great they were on privacy and security and thought hey? What?

Thanks for the info

LinuxNew

Hey amosbatto thanks for that I really appreciate it.

Thanks again

LinuxNew

You think thee will be any Librem 16? :thinking:

1 Like

I think so if they can get an L16 in the same form factor of L15, anyway they should launch shortly a successor of L15v4 with a new CPU as L14.
Since they will ship all back-ordered L14s by January, I guess they should have enough resources for producing L15v5 or designing L16 starting from February.
Since mass production of L14 will start in two weeks, back-orders campaign for L14 will stop and it could start a pre-order campaign for the possible L16.

I forgot that the problem is probably depending in if there are 16" displays available. I can not remember actually have seen other notebooks with that size…?

There are notebooks with a display of 16", they are marketed by Apple, but I do not know if they produce displays themselves or if they buy them from a manufacturer.

According to the TWScreen database, nobody offers a 16" 4K screen as a standard option, so Apple must have done a custom order of its screen, which is not something that Purism can do.

Looking through the database, no manufacture offers a 4K matte screen in between 15.6 and 17.3 inches, so Purism either has to stay at 15.6" or increase to 17.3".

And if going to 17.3", ensuring that it does not get too heavy.