Librem 14 Pureboot - Red text artifacts

Pureboot question on Librem14 with Chimei Inoolux Corporation screen. Has anyone else experienced odd red text/symbols/wingdings appearing on boot at the top and/or middle of their screen on boot? Is this an artifact of the monitor or a potential security concern?

It was far more pronounced when I was booting PureOS and even had odd red wingding type text that appeared immediately before the OS init. After upgrading to a new nvme drive and installing QubesOS, the top of the screen now has the following red artfacts appearing

I have not attempted to reinstall the firmware yet.

1 Like

It is mentioned in this post

@Freedom_Right, yes! It turns out that I did snag one clear photo of the PureOS’s first boot after initial setup - sure enough the issues there happened immediately after “failed to load i915/kbl_dc_ver1_04” so this appears to be harmless, probably just a DMC firmware issue at boot. PureOS boot artifacts were creepier, the few red smileys shown below appeared at random locations quickly increasing until the system finished booting:

1 Like

I don’t know if they are Wingdings, but since the boot up character set is similar to old DOS, I would call them IBM ASCII symbols.

yes that’s normal it’s graphics card being reset by new kernel.
btw current version of purboot seems break intel graphics so if you chose compositing desktop environment like kde, expect some glitches, random crashes, reboots, or screen blinking.
some of those look like hardware failure, while it is fault of firmware.
solution: temporary switch to coreboot+seabios

supplemental explaination:
pureboot is nothing more than small embedded linux, that does verification of HOTP and TPM.
then calls kexec to load new kernel (your chosen linux) then with kexec() try to boot new kernel.
at this point hardware control being handed over between old kernel (pureboot) and new kernel (distro you chose). at this point things being to complicated to explain, but yes temporary graphics glitches are expected.

the fact that something is wrong with intel graphics after actual OS being booted is being investigated.(random glitches i mentioned above)