Librem 14: Review and Comparison to Librem 13

I believe that the answer to that is “no” i.e. L14 has same WiFi card as L13 / L15. So no upgrade option for you there, unfortunately.

It would be interesting to know therefore whether this finding (of improved WiFi) is universal and, if so, why. One could speculate on better card positioning, less shielding, better antenna, different interface parameters, … but that’s just speculation.

2 Likes

By all means, create a company, fabricate your own CPU, get Mainboard manufacturers to support it, and develop all the firmware and drivers for it.

Because that’s the only way you don’t have to put up with Intel’s crap. Welcome to reality.

2 Likes

I didn’t say it definitively wasn’t - I said it wasn’t accurate to label the ME firmware as backdoor code.

The ME is designed to allow remote access/control via an Intel Wifi or ethernet module. That’s a primary function, not a hidden backdoor. It’s also not a feature present in the consumer (vs corporate) ME firmware shipped on Librem devices, and also not a concern given that Librem devices don’t use Intel networking hardware.

2 Likes

there’s one on the down arrow key, so you can easily go left/right from there

I have to admit, I’m still trying to get used to the right shift key location. I am constantly hitting the page up key instead. Matter of getting used to it, muscle memorization as it were. But I would reverse the two if given the choice :wink:
I will also mention the “A” key does not always work when hit, as others have mentioned, but it’s intermittent, so I will perhaps blame inconsistencies in how I touch it, but it doesn’t happen with any other key. Just an FYI.

1 Like

If only that were a verifiable statement …

(Let’s put WiFi to one side for the moment) As long as you don’t connect the built-in ethernet to anything (and hence you would need to have a separate ethernet controller for your use in most use cases), one might assume that the Intel ME firmware won’t be a network backdoor. I don’t know of any technical reason why the Intel ME firmware couldn’t sniff out alternative ethernet controllers to use and start using the alternative instead of the built-in.

This link suggests it was “over 92.6%”.

1 Like

that post is about the 5th-gen Librem 13v1/15v2. the OP was discussing the 13v4, which uses a 7th-gen SoC, and a newer ME engine/firmware which cannot have nearly as much removed from the firmware

3 Likes

good speculation points! :slight_smile:

you mean to say that the down arrow key has a protruding bevel or something of the sort to feel it? Like the ‘F’ and ‘J’ keys ?

correct, exact same raised bevel

1 Like

I just bought a 60W USB-C laptop charger, and now I realize that I was wrong about the USB-C ports. The USB-C flash drive I used to test how recessed the ports are on the laptops makes it seem like it is not going all the way into the laptop port, but that is actually because of the design of the flash drive, not the laptop. Using the USB-C cable that came with the laptop charger, I see that the Librem 14 USB-C ports are fully recessed like all the other ports, and the Librem 13 USB-C port is only slightly less recessed than that of the Librem 14.

I appologize for the error.

3 Likes

Could you share the link to the charger of your choice please? I need a second one to carry with me around. :wink:

I did not do any research on different USB-C laptop chargers. I went out to get a new printer and decided to look for USB-C laptop chargers while I was there. I only found one of these chargers in the whole store, and so I got it. It has a 60W USB-C port with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 for charging laptops and a 5W USB-A port for charging a secondary device like a Librem 5 or PinePhone. The charger comes with a sturdy cable with USB-C on both ends for laptop charging, but it does not come with a cable for the USB-A port. I have not had time to test it very much, but it charged from 40% to 50% in 20 minutes while running several virtual machines in Qubes. It is small and light, so it would be great as a portable charger to take on-the-go. But I should repeat that I have not researched other USB-C laptop chargers and do not know how this compares.

1 Like

Here are some of my findings about charging the Librem 14 with this 60W USB-C charger:

Charging from 10% to 15% takes a few minutes.

Charging from 15% for three hours yields ~75%

Charging from 30% for one hour yields ~60%.

Charging from 60% for one hour yields ~75%

Charging from 75% for one hour yields ~90%

In order to prolong the life of the battery, it is best to charge the device to around 80%. So a full charge from less than 10% to ~80% or ~90% would take three to four hours, and from 30% to ~80% or ~90% would take two to three hours.

2 Likes

This perfectly matches what the word “backdoor” means for many of us! Whether it is secret has nothing to do with whether it is a backdoor.

1 Like

that’s literally a key component of the definition.

a secret access point or undocumented vulnerability in a software program, hardware component, or digital network, sometimes intentionally maintained as for remote developer access, but also sometimes created or exploited for unauthorized access by hackers

1 Like

When I got my Librem 13 back in 2018 I loved it. I STILL think it is a fantastic laptop if only specific points of failure were not the case. For me the glued display panel and in ability to fix or adjust a temperamental video cable made repairs unnecessarily tedious and costly.

Are you able to comment on how the display on the Librem 14 is? Since the switches are now a part of the lower chassis, that is already an improvement compared to the v2 model.

Hi @2disbetter. I forgot until now that I had not responded to your comment here.

I can say that in comparison to the Librem 13, the display feels more sturdy and is quieter. I do not know about repairability of the display. I only opened up the laptop to swap the SSD with the one that was in my Librem 13. I have not yet had any issues with the Librem 13 hinge or display, but I have been very careful with it after reading horror stories about it. I am not concerned at all about the Librem 14 hinge and display.

There is one minor difference between the Librem 13 and Librem 14 displays that I forgot to mention in my original post. So on the Librem 14, there are 10 brightness levels for the display, in addition to the display being off. On the Librem 13, there is an extra Super-Low-Brightness level that can be reached by raising the brightness to maximum and then lowering the brightness to one level above zero. If you lowered the brightness to zero and then raised it back by one level, it would skip this Super-Low-Brightness level and raise it to the next level. The Librem 14 display does not behave this way.

I hope this all made sense, and I hope I did not misunderstand your question. Sorry that it took me a week to respond to you here.

1 Like

I can confirm, seeing the same thing on my Librem 15. I guess that in the terminal you can have smaller steps in the brightness anyway, it’s just GUI that works like this.