Librem 14 shuts off and white line flickers when power is below 40%

Quite consistently, whenever my battery on the Librem 14 is below 40%, the screen suddenly goes black and a white horizontal line flickers. The only way to get out of it is to hold down the power button and reboot.

Wondering if anyone has a similar issue and any idea where to start.

Thanks!

Which OS and have you tried the EC firmware upgrade:

& installed the power driver librem-ec-acpi-dkms:

I’m interested as well in how we can provide helpful reports of power issues.

The OS may not have logs for sudden power loss and I’m not sure if the EC generates logs that could be read from the chip on reboot. Hopefully someone can clarify.

There is nothing wrong with your Librem 14. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your Librem 14. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to — The Outer Limits. — Opening narration, The Control Voice, 1960s "

1 Like

I wonder if Librem laptop owners would have same battery issues when using an OS other than PureOS.

Yes, I’m on Qubes and having the battery issues of sudden shutoffs but not the white line. I was thinking that Qubes maybe introduces a lot more sudden power draw than PureOS when running a lot of Qubes. I upgraded the EC firmware but haven’t had much time to confirm if the sudden power loss at 40% is resolved completely for me. The driver did improve the issue of not charging at all so I got more battery time with it.

To be honest this problem alone is making me reconsider if I want a Librem 14 or not.

Haven’t done the EC firmware upgrade or installed power drivers. BTW I’m running PureOS.

Thanks for this, I’ll post updates.

Following this post, planing to buy a Librem 14 myself, but I dont want to use 2k on a laptop that bugs alot.

then don’t buy it.
but to be honest, i was not able reproduce this bug on mine unit.
and i lost ideas hwy some people have problem.

I would simply wait… it was mentioned that fw fixed the issue and it would take some time to confrim this. The librem 14 is a nice device, just has a few things to work out. I assume in a year or two, I too will have a librem 14 in my hands. Maybe a v2 ? :smiley: