Librem 14 sudden crash when unplugged

I have similar experiences. With the EC Update to 1.11 my battery discharges super fast, until it reaches the 5% mark. Then strangely enough I can run for say 15min without problems. If I then do suspend the laptop and then turn it on again, the battery level jumps up to 30%. Than falls again to 5%> and eventually crashes.

To me it looks like the battery level pollings are getting strange values.

2 Likes

Hi guys,
This issue has been going on for ages and now my librem 14 faces the same issue as well. Ec firmware updated, oem factory reset all done. But the problem still there. It is shown to have been charged to 100% on the top right hand corner, but when I open the power settings page, it is shown fully charged but only at 98%. Once I unplug or turn off the charger, the machine just shuts down immediately. I donā€™t know how to go on like this.

1 Like

clarence79: makesure: sudo apt install librem-ec-acpi-dkms
Also install Librem-Control application to control the battery charger pattern.

1 Like

Yes. Done all of it but still the same. I have installed librem control. Currently, the start charge threshold is set at 90% and the end charge threshold is 100%. I have not changed it. How should I go on with this? Thanks in advance

Can you share the EC version?
Are you using the Barrel DC charger?
Do not using anything connected to usb port, unplug everything.
The issue seems a bad battery or bad battery connection.

The EC update is 1.11 which seems to be the latest and I am using a original barrel dc charger sent with the laptop. Nothing is connected to the USB port except for the librem key.

So do you have the last Pureboot version installed?

Put the Librem-Control battery pattern to ZERO both lines, with charger connected then check if get shutdown? if not poweroff try get full empty the battery till automatic shutdowm then try again.

I have the latest release 24 installed. I have both the start charge threshold and the end charge threshold set at 10 and 11% respectively. That is the lowest they can get. There is no battery pattern lines that I can pull to zero. 16715134977181291837704889534440|690x388

clarence79: Okay so use the stop-bottom-to-charge to get full empty the battery.

Ok. Thanks for the advice. :pray: it is slowly discharging. Furthermore, I have also emailed purism support and they have suggested posting the laptop back to them for repair in Jan. They suspect that the motherboard is problematic as well. I am backing up all files now too.

Great, Purism e.c programmer said time ago that there is a bug on battery sensor, that is causing a misunderstanding to gnu, so full discharging the battery then recharge to full again there is a big chance to get fixed your machine. Sadly this malfuntions sometimes happen in a libre hardwares, it is not a fault of Purism.

How can you say that itā€™s ā€œnot a fault of Purismā€??? Of course itā€™s their fault. You donā€™t find problems like this on mainstream laptops.

Because we can not blame a company that try to build the best x86 libre laptop for us, to build a libre laptop like L14 it is a huge challenge and only Purism is the only company that dares to make this happen with very low money base. Also purism got done the l14 by recycling some libre firmwares from others.
Of course issues may appear but IMHO we need beers with Purism.
Purism also had to drive challenge of pandemic to produce L14.

Which one? Clevo? ā€¦there is not other x86 laptop in market like L14. System76 is almost near but not same.

I am having the same problem. The laptop turns off randomly when on battery power. I sent the laptop back to purism and they were able to reproduce the problem and said the updated EC firmware fixed the issue. I got the laptop back and it worked for about 5 minutes before turning off again. I emailed support back and they donā€™t have a fix for me and its out of warranty now. I give up and Iā€™m ordering a system 76. Not sure if it is any better but I canā€™t work with this machine. Itā€™s driving me crazy.

If Purism gets the credit for development of the laptop and the EC, they also get the blame when something goes wrong. Iā€™ve never had such a problem on any laptop Iā€™ve purchased. Itā€™s not acceptable. So of course Purism is to blame and I donā€™t see how you can credibly say ā€œā€¦ it is not a fault of Purism.ā€

What wrong? my Librem 14 work really nice, i can not say any bad for Purism because everything work good in my case. The other big problems what i seeing is that many non-expert user for free software are buying the machine that they donā€™t know how to use it and manage to damage the machine.

Because that machine are convencional layout with a big money & development in background and also with huge label brand in the front side for you :joy:

Is fine if is not acceptable only for you.

Because i have the power to say what i think, same to you. :wink:
The ideal would be not to blame anyone and solve the inconveniences together. We need Purism.

You have the power to say what you think, but you are doing it with 0 credibility.
You may need Purism. I donā€™t. There are a lot of other choices.

Unfortunately I have to agree with @Privacy2 that generally speaking it is not acceptable the issue with the battery sudden crashes.

Nobody is saying that Purism is doing a bad job per se. But we have to face the fact, that my L14 ā€œFirst Genrationā€ never really worked reliable when not being plugged to the power supply.

And I think we should not mix two aspects in this discussion. I know that some Purism users do for instance criticize newbies not being able to help themself with technical aspects (e.g. installing a bluetooth driver to have it running). But when the EC Firmware is not capable of handling the battery loading properly, then I think we have a fundamental problem here. And the fact that I am not able to run my L14 without power supply leaves much to be desired.

My hope is that Purism will take this problem serious, because otherwise people will opt for alternatives.

I guess that battery crash issue it is for a bad battery, so i guess that changes to new battery will fix all the issues. But before thinking to changes a new battery there are other test to perform before to decide to change to nueva battery. I know that e.c firm was very unstable at beginning but now is pretty stable.

@nicole.faerber
I have asked support if itā€™s safe to re-flash EC version 1.7 since I wasnā€™t sure because you said some versions lead to hardware failures/dying. They confirmed I could re-flash version 1.7 and so I did. Since then (around two weeks ago) I havenā€™t had any unexpected shutdowns. The only problem with this version is that it doesnā€™t seam to charge much when the laptop is turned on and after shutting it down the power supply has to be reconnected to charge.