Librem 14v2 Wishlist

And, of course, stop gluing the keyboard and increase repairability.

2 Likes

I actually love that they include a MicroSD card reader.

Only thing I’d change would be the screen resolution.

1 Like
  • 4k screen (Purism, please note that I will gladly pay extra for a replacement screen on my librem 14v1 if you release a hidpi one)
  • full-featured USB4 ports (with charging) on both sides
  • ECC ram
  • RISC-V
3 Likes

RISC-V is awesome, but this is unlikely to be a prospect for the next revision at all. Similar things could be said about ECC RAM.

2 Likes

I love the MicroSD reader as well, I have too many gadgets that use microSD and for me it is greatly needed.

A bump in screen resolution would be nice, maybe at least 2560x1600 (retina)

It would be nice if the HDMI and USB-C Alt-Display port were on the same side

ECC Ram would be awesome

3 Likes

Independent USB hubs. It would help isolate USB devices, very beneficial for Qubes OS.

Neutralized Intel ME.

Touch screen.

More hardware keys (power, volume, brightness, custom keys) above the keyboard. Not sure how easy it is technically though.

Not just increasing the repairability, but also making many keyboard layouts possible.

@fsflover - I’ve always been curious about this. I’ve owned 2 laptops that have touchscreens and I ultimately ended up disabling it as it tends to just get in my way. Do you have any special use case for requiring touchscreen? Especially for a laptop that doesn’t have a 180 degree tilt for the screen?

I think an SD card reader is pretty useful.

I want:

• A metal frame with hinges that screw into that metal frame and a plastic case (see the design of Thinkpads).
  • A keyboard with an accessible right shift key and separate PageUp, PageDown, Home and End keys (see the design of a Thinkpad keyboard).
  • A BIOS option to make the F1-F12 keys the default keys, so I don’t have to press the Fn key to use them. I use the Fx keys all the time, such as F1 to open help in LibreOffice, F2 to edit the contents of a cell in Calc, Alt+F4 to close applications, F9 to toggle the sidebar in Evince, F11 to go to full screen in Firefox, etc.
  • Mostly I want Purism to be able to sell replacement parts.
  • USB 4.

All of these things are big asks, and frankly a lot of these things depend on the ODM. I assume that Purism is taking a base design from an ODM and tweaking it to add a TPM, kill switches, firmware writeable switches, etc.

2 Likes

No. But the direction which Purism chose is that all devices are the same, except the screen size. They share the OS, the software, the killswitches, the RGB LED:

You know that we talk about convergence a lot. Our goal is to provide the same environment as much as possible across all of our products, especially the Librem 5 phone and the Librem laptops. We already use pretty much the same software base and are working to make this close to 100% the same. This now also goes into hardware because we have implemented this notification LED into the Librem 14 too!

For this reason, with the development of Librem 5, I expect that such use case will soon appear.

By the way, 180 (or 360!) degree tilt would be awesome, too.

1 Like

Touchscreen would likely require a glass display panel, Nicole has said this will never happen and provided reasoning.

hot-swap-able 4 cell battery that i can order separately without paying extra import fee …

integrated colorimeter in the body frame so i don’t have to use an external one but that’s quite fringe case for laptops anyway …

There are usb-c power delivery capable power banks usable for laptops.

What is the usage of colorimeter?

2 Likes

it’s a hardware thingy that lets you Adjust/Calibrate the pixels that make up your display-panel to more accurately reflect certain color-output on your screen … it is a known fact that over time display-panels loose their “accuracy” of colors represented …

I don’t think it’s a big deal either way. On balance though I agree with this. I don’t have an SD reader on my current computer but I did on my previous, so now I just use an adapter. (I definitely use SD cards e.g. mucking around with Raspberry Pi computers and e.g. soon to be mucking around with a Librem 5.) I have a neat one with a full-size SD card slot on the side and a µSD card slot on the end, so no SD card adapter needed in order to cater for either size.

One advantage of an adapter is that it may avoid some built-in obsolescence. Eventually you will find that a built-in SD reader can’t take advantage of the latest SD standards. It’s a lot easier to throw away a USB dongle for reading SD cards and buy a better one than it is to do anything about a built-in reader.

1 Like

If no USB4, how about an externally accessible mini-pcie slot?

Physical buttons on the touchpad.

and trackpoint

1 Like

The main thing for me is repair-ability. It’s worrisome having a laptop that you need to ship internationally in order to do something which should be simple like replacing a screen or keyboard.

For the SD slot, I would prefer to have a full size SD slot, or nothing at all. Photographers use full size SD cards because this is what most cameras are equipped with. So the microSD card slot isn’t very useful.

I also say no to touch screens, hinges which allow the screen to flip all the way back, etc. I’ve seen those components break all the time on every kind of laptop I’ve seen, and they’re not easy to repair.

1 Like

+1 on that

2 Likes

Purism can you create/sell a nice GNU-Backpack to my Librem 14? @mladen
Please Please…