Librem 15 - does key light, or letters?

The image displaying the keyboard on the Librem 15 sales page is difficult for me to know.

QUESTION: Is the “Backlit Keyboard” lighting the key (i.e., light shows up around each key), or do the letters letters light up?

also,

Under Librem 15 Technical specs, 2nd line down, what is a “TPM” that is “Included”?
TIA
~s~

I don’t own a libtem, but I’ve never seen a backlit keyboard where the letters aren’t lit up. I think its safe to assume that the letters are, in fact, lit up.

From the TPM wikipedia page:

“The primary scope of TPM is to assure the integrity of a platform. In this context, “integrity” means “behave as intended”, and a “platform” is any computer device regardless of its operating system. It is to ensure that the boot process starts from a trusted combination of hardware and software, and continues until the operating system has fully booted and applications are running.”

1 Like

I have a Librem 15 v4, there is no light on the keyboard at all.
There is! Just never knew about how to enable it, see below.

Thanks @vmedea. I am looking at the Librem 15 as per my original post, specs and it says “Backlit keyboard - - Yes”.

I have two laptops with lit keyboards. One has the underside of keys lit, not the letters themselves, and the other ltop, has keys lit, not the underside. I also have a Razor keyboard with backlit keyboard letters, not the underside.

The image shown at the link I give appears to light just the underside, not the letters. At $3k after exchange, I want to be certain. Still on the fence though. For me, it’s a lot of money I’d rather not regret having spent.

If your’s is dark, maybe have a look at the link. Maybe your’s needs to be turned on?

Thanks again,
~s~

On my Librem 13 v4 it looks like this:

There is light around each key, but the letter on each key also lights up. I guess there is a light behind each key and that shines through the white letters making them bright as well. Anyway, it works fine and looks nice, I think.

@vmedea: are you sure you have no keyboard backlight? It may be off by default, on Librem 13 v4 I can toggle it using <Fn>+<F10>

2 Likes

Did you turn it on with Fn+F10?

1 Like

In short: backlit keyboard: yes, enable it with Fn+F10.

TPM: explained here: https://puri.sm/faq/

I have Librem 15 and yes, there is both a back light and the letters, etc. themselves light up. There is two brightness settings, low and high. Just hold Fn and press F10 once for low and twice for high. A third press turns it off.

2 Likes

No, I had no idea! It even has two brightness levels, this is very neat.

Sorry for the confusion.

You can check what other keyboard shortcuts are in our quick start guide: https://docs.puri.sm/Librem_15/Getting_Started.html

2 Likes

Thank you. I’ve sometimes wondered what the icons meant! I think i’ve managed to hit the ‘disable touchpad’ one at least once accidentally.

2 Likes

I just came by to thank for the keyboard shortcut, I believe my backlight must have been off since the purchase in January 2019. Perhaps it would be a good idea to have it turned on per default, once delivered.