Librem 15 having problems booting up

I’m buying a used Librem 15 v4 and I have a few questions. The laptop seems to be in an immaculate condition with one catch - sometimes when powering up the screen doesn’t turn on. In order to get the screen up and running, one needs to hibernate the laptop and then wake it back up again, sometimes 2-3 times, to get the screen finally on. Once the screen is on, everything works flawlessly.

I’ve been wondering if this is a known bug that can be resolved via software parch? Is that something that I could potentially fix myself, since the warranty has expired? I’d appreciate your opinion guys. Thanks!

So this may sound weird but the next time you wake the laptop by lifting the lid and the screen does not come on, pull the lid forward slightly. Does the screen come on? Contact Purism support.

So you think it’s a hardware problem?

Does the screen come on when you slightly wiggle it forward?

On my L13v2 I had a similar issue. Bought a new screen from Purism, but I haven’t installed it yet, because I can continue to get the screen to turn back on with slightly moving it forward after waking the screen.

Either way, you’ll need to contact purism for a solution.

If you want to be extra sure, you can plug in an external monitor and see if it gets a picture. If it does, it’s likely a hardware problem. If it doesn’t, it’s likely a software problem.

2 Likes