Librem 5 and Australia

Thanks Kieran
Yes. I agree that waiting is the way to go. I am a self-confessed infant in this area so advice to wait is well taken. I am also keeping an eye on the e-foundation stuff as well. But if I can support the Pure initiative I will.

I would presume that they will ask before shipping. I have ordered but I haven’t been asked which modem yet. I believe the modems hadn’t been selected when I ordered.

There was a post saying that they were looking at a more compatible modem about a month ago. It’s great to see that they have not given up.

Thanks for that. I hope they don’t give up. We may be a small part of the market so I hope we don’t miss out.

Its a pity that, if they do come up with something for Oz conditions that we will not get the advantage of the pre-order price which was one thing motivating me. Mind you, it was good to be motivated. I’ve learnt a heap in the past week or so.

2 Likes

Anyone from Australia who is interested, I have posted a compatibility chart here.

Thank you for posting that chart. It will require some study now to see how this goes for my area really.

1 Like

I posted about a modem that does have B28:

2 Likes

Just an update regarding the Australian bands and the ones supported by the Broadmobi BM818-T1 variant:

4G

Australia is currently using these LTE bands (LTE bandmask in brackets):

2100MHz (B1) FDD (0000000000000001) – Telstra, Optus, Vodafone
1800MHz (B3) FDD (0000000000000004) – Telstra, Optus, Vodafone
850MHz (B5) FDD (0000000000000010) – Vodafone
2600MHz (B7) FDD (0000000000000040) – Optus, Telstra (TPG have a license but have not announced plans for it.)
900MHz (B8) FDD (0000000000000080) – Telstra (a handful of sites, utilises spectrum previously used by 2G)
700MHz (B28) FDD (0000000008000000) – Telstra, Optus
2300MHz (B40) TDD (0000008000000000) – Optus (Vivid wireless spectrum, metropolitan area), NBN (regional area including Gold Coast)
3500MHz (B42) TDD (0000020000000000) – Optus, NBN (Both trials at this stage)

And these are the frequencies supported by the new modem (if the T1 variant will be confirmed):

BM818-T1:
FDD-LTE:B1/B2/B3/B4/B5/B7/B8/B28/B66
TDD-LTE:B34/B38/B39/B40/B41(200M)

Apparently this modem could finally solve all the issues regarding Australian customers (like me), because it covers every band of every telco (I marked the bands in the list), except for the B42 that is very high frequency and used only by Optus and NBN so far.

If I go in Europe for example, the situation changes a bit, because I’m not covered for all the frequencies:

B1 2100 MHz
B3 1800 MHz
B7 2600 MHz
B8 900 MHz
B20 800 MHz
B28 700 MHz
B32 1500 MHz
B38 2600 MHz
B40 2300 MHz

Which is fine, considering that I stay there usually for a month per year… It’s a pity that the T1 variant doesn’t support frequency B20, that in Italy it’s important as much as B28 in Australia, but I guess I can live with that for that month.

I took the data about the frequencies from Whirlpool.net.au and from Wikipedia

5 Likes

So just to be sure for Australia, which of the Broadmobi would it be? I couldn’t work out the T1 variant bit :frowning:
BM818-E1 or
BM818-A1

Sorry to be so concrete. I just want to get this right before I order.

T1

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

According to https://puri.sm/faq/supported-networks/, Purism is considering only the BM818-E1 and BM818-A1 variants on ship right now

UPDATE: A post from a support technician down below says that they are also working with the BM818-T1 and other variants:

1 Like

Oh, seriously??? So I still have to cancel my order??? Damn!!

1 Like

I’m based in Australia and have been a backer for about a year and I’m very keen to get my Librem 5.

Purism, if you’re listening, please reconsider adding the T1 variant. This will make a HUGE difference for coverage in Australia!

Thanks!

3 Likes

Looks like us Aussies miss out, at least for now. It’s probably not feasible to offer the variants for our small market. It’s a shame. I’m trying to get into the Pure world but maybe not just yet. I’d pay for the variant, and handsomely at that. I’m just waiting now for e foundation to announce a reseller for their phones in Oz and I’ll get my girl one and see what it’s like. I think that one will be more user friendly for her. I truly hope the Librem 5 becomes a possibility for us down here.

1 Like

I’d ask them directly. I don’t know how many Australian backers they have. Maybe only a dozen? The question is also, if it is too much effort for them to officially support/test it, can you buy it directly? I’d just ask them about it. You could also offer to test it for them - because if they are serious about QA, somebody would have to travel down under for that.

2 Likes

Yes, probably our market is too small to be sustainable to offer the T1 variant of the phone. Well, I was keen as well to have my Librem 5, but at this stage I am forced to cancel my order and wait for the Pinephone, even if the Librem 5 idea was really exciting.
I hope the project will be a huge success, maybe I’ll bake Librem 5 version 2, who knows, maybe they’ll use a RISC-V chipset (after they sponsored the LIBRE RISC-V M-CLASS, I am really curious about that CPU!!

I think someone from Purism needs to step in with a clarification.

1 Like

In Italy with device/modem supporting LTE Band 28 you will be very soon on the safe side (even without B20). Here is confirming link. I already wrote (somewhere here) why LTE B28 will be introduced within the whole EU region. For example, from this summer, it is already in use in Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Norway and Sweden. Rest is up to the Purism (Gemalto/Broadmobi).

1 Like

Ugh… Please Purism, (re)consider offering the BroadMobi BM818-T1!

2 Likes

Hang on, guys. There is no official statement regarding the -T1.

One forum participant above wrote “Purism is considering only the -E1 and -A1 variants on ship right now” and other participants have repeated that as gospel ! Unless “jinglersend” works for Purism, it would be wise to get an official word. If “jinglersend” does not work for Purism, the claim, based on the evidence posted above, could be considered speculative inference (i.e. might be right, might be wrong).

For example, one possibility, at the optimistic end of the scale, is that for a small market noone has had time to fill in the table on the Purism web site but the -T1 has been tested and found to work as far as is possible if sitting in the US (i.e. only the bands that are in common between the -T1 and what is in use in the US) so if the table had been filled in for the -T1 there would be question marks on some of the bands. At the less optimistic end of the scale, noone has even tested the -T1 but they will sell you a phone with one (at your risk).

All just speculation!

3 Likes

Well that’s true. @deedend you should ask them if there is a chance of them offering it before you cancel your order (I suppose you probably will).

I am also waiting for the Librem 5 v2 with RISC-V :wink: