Librem 5 Calendar App

Yes is in the Purism factory: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/debs/gnome-calendar/-/jobs/371158/artifacts/download

6 Likes

Cool, thanks for sharing this. Based on the main repo it looked like this was a long way off. Never saw the purism branch.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. Sounds good, will try it out.

5 Likes

Sorry, if it’s a dumb question, but does this represent some kind of improvement? I’m not sure what the featured addition is in the picture.

1 Like

@joao.azevedo [Correction: @adrien.plazas, not Joao] has apparently got the app to be adaptive to the Librem 5’s screen, which it wasn’t up to now. Being non-adaptive before, the screen views were unscrollable, and to see a complete view of any screen, the app had to be shrunk so small that it was very hard to see anything.

Compare:

3 Likes

Wow, wow, wow, Adrien Plazas is working on making the app adaptive. I just got to play with it as a “alfa tester”.

As the post stated it is still a work in progress

1 Like

My mistake! Apologies, @adrien.plazas! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I tried building this but need a newer version of glib than is available in the repos. While I can track that down and build this myself, I’m curious if this is the route you’d recommend if I just want to try this newest version of GNOME Calendar to see how it looks. Or is there a Flatpak I can install this version from or something?

It’s on a throwaway L5 VM so I don’t care if I Franken-Debian it or anything, I just want to see how this app looks in it’s current WIP state.

download the debs from the CI pipeline: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/debs/gnome-calendar/-/pipelines

It does not, unless you’re on amber-phone - all the required dependencies are in byzantium.

Also that “detail” yes :smiley:

Byzantium x86_64 in QEMU.
The error I was getting was meson.build:169:0: ERROR: Invalid version of dependency, need 'glib-2.0' ['>= 2.67.5'] found '2.66.8'.

But either way, downloading the .deb from the CI Pipeline worked, and I gotta say the app looks pretty great in Week/Year view as well. Not perfect, but getting very close.

Sounds like you were trying to build an unpatched version. One of the patches is build: Bump glib down to 2.66.8 :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Though this happened a few weeks ago. An adaptive Gnome Calendar has been released in Byzantium. Played around with it this morning. Looks pretty good.

7 Likes

Yes! I only use it since one mounth on my Librem5 and it work well. Only little problem to fit exacly on the screen, or sometime need to close the app and re-open it to solve little bug. But, I use it many many times a day and he do all I need (sorry for my bad english).

1 Like

The latest update is an important step but the calendar is still of no use for me. A day or agenda view is a core function and sorely missed.
On my Android device I use the Business Calendar App, which offers a … day view …!

1 Like

I agree, and it should be a fairly simple one to implement: just a chronological list of events for the selected day.

For me, the important thing is to just be able to look at that list, it does not need to handle adding/modifying events, a read-only list is fine, that would make the calendar useful in practice.

2 Likes

Please go and file an issue, for example here: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/debs/gnome-calendar/-/issues

3 Likes

this is the right place to file an issue regarding the version of GNOME calendar that we ship with pureOS Byzantium.

3 Likes