Librem 5 - Compatible with European (and other non-US) networks?

Hi guys,

I got interested in the Librem 5 phone and wanted to check its compatibility for European countries.

Here is the answer I found:

According to an answer from @Richard in a thread, you can check the compatibility for you country with this two links:

• Purism supported networks: here
  • Countries’ and carriers’ networks (all continents): here

You can now check for your own country.

From my understanding the Librem 5 is designed to be compatible with the European network.

Forgive me if this post is redundant, but I wanted to share it in a post so that:

• Others that might be wondering the same thing could find the answer faster than I did: The compatibility info doesn’t seem to be appearing in plain English in the (non-technical) phone presentation - I might be wrong though! :slight_smile:
  • Anyone more familiar with the project could correct any wrong info

Cheers!

1 Like

Have you tried to search for what cell phone bands your carrier uses?

What country and carrier are you in/using?

1 Like

Hi JnCA,

Thanks for your answer.

I found what I was looking for (ie: the Librem 5 is compatible with most of the European networks).

My intention with the initial post was to share the information.

I’ll edit the post though, to add that the linked website also provides information about carriers’ network.

It might be useful to have a table with the countries and carriers the Librem 5 is compatible with. If people would think it would be useful, I might do that.

Thanks!

2 Likes

well, no, it is NOT clear if it works.

The SIM slot is NOT universal, it is specific for Europe OR the US.

GEMALTO says: "…Cinterion PLS8 module and its variants, PLS8-E and PLS8-US, provide true worldwide coverage … " on page https://www.gemalto.com/m2m/solutions/modules-terminals/industrial-plus/pls8.

So it is E for Europe or US for Americas.
Which one will be shipped to Europe??

“BroadMobi BM818. Also two variants are considered, BM818-E1 and BM818-A1.” Purism sasys.

As you see there are 4 options, 2 for Europe and 2 for US.

Unfortunately Purism did not take this into account. Quote: “There are 2 possible modem choices:”

No, that’s not true.

And before I spend 700 US-currency I want to know: Will my Purism5 be shipped with US chips or will it fit European networks?

@lithosphere9 When we are about to ship your order you will receive an email asking to confirm your modem selection.

1 Like

perfect!

So you check back about the regional modem selection before you ship the order. Cool.

This is a customer friendly solution and it answers my question.
Appreciate your kind reply!

1 Like

Be wary though, because you will also have to pay the VAT on top (in germany thats +19% -> 831,81 USD) and if you live outside the EU you might also have to pay import taxes as well.

1 Like

Sure, feels “great”.

1. If I would run a company I would not pay VAT.
  2. If I sum up the money for ALL telephones I bought in the last 30 years it is significantly less money than 1 Librem5.
    Conclusion??
    Would it be reasonable to buy a Nokia 8110 instead?

Librem5 is luxury for the not yet brain dead.

Other excuses?

1 Like

Huh? I don’t get your post. I just wanted to point out that you will spend considerably more than 700 USD. Not everybody understood this, when ordering (me included) and some people even demanded refunds because of this. There is no judgement in this, it’s just an important piece of information.

2 Likes