Librem 5 Computer Security (traveling+new zerodays)

I did not enter Orange F myself. I was wondering if it is correctly in the file.

The file with all details is here on your Librem 5:

/usr/share/mobile-broadband-provider-info/serviceproviders.xml

And it is maintained here: serviceproviders.xml · main · GNOME / mobile-broadband-provider-info · GitLab

I do not know how the file is exactly used, I only fixed it for my Dutch provider. Actually, I still believe that the timeout issue that I mentioned earlier might be the root cause of difficulties on getting an mobile data connection in France. I traveled this summer through several EU countries, and the mobile data connection usually worked well. But in France I had difficulties. Maybe there are some French Librem 5 users in the forums that can shine some light on this?

1 Like

Often yes but I often tried toggling it to see if that would change anything, to no avail.

So, my provider is Google’s Project Fi, sometimes called Google Fi. I have seen the L5 know this and show “Project Fi” as the Network name at times. But I dont see that in your global APN list XML file. And last time I contacted their Google customer support asking for APN style information for Chatty MMS, their reply was that I must buy another new phone of a different kind, and my phone is not officially supported.

Isn’t it impossible for me to change this because of firmware jail, or something?

1 Like

I would just keep searching again and again for networks until it shows up (hopefully).

If you swapped out your modem, but didn’t also update the firmware, then it’s possible that the version number you’re seeing is the one you installed for the North American modem. (Unless the firmware somehow updates itself in byzantium now, which I doubt.) The 20220930 date is the latest for all three modems, as far as I know. You probably need to update the firmware for the newly installed modem. Instructions can be found in the forums. Your decision, though.

Possible, and it was also recommended by Purism. The “jail” refers to the SparkLan wifi card, if I’m not mistaken.

It needs to be on if you want data while roaming.

1 Like

If there is doubt about what version BM818 Tool is showing you then

AT+BMSWVER

can be issued directly to the modem in order to ask it what version it has.

It is my understanding that each modem has to have the firmware upgraded separately, if there is a need to upgrade the firmware at all - but obviously the time to do that is before leaving home, in case there are problems.

2 Likes

The firmware jail only applies to the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth module, not the cellular modem, of which the firmware version is already up-to-date.

Ask g**gle ai
:wink:

1 Like

This is probably correct; I didn’t update any firmware, but I switched out the hardware.

Noob question but seriously what does “roaming” mean? It is a mobile device. The use case is when I am not at home, not in one place!

I tried sudo mmcli -m any AT+BMSWVER and it printed a bunch of junk. I dont want to paste it here since I dont want to leak IMEIs or whatever that is, but the text included this:

|       firmware revision: MPSS.JO.2.0.2.c1.1-00032-9607_GENNS_PACK-1.351938.1  1  [Nov 26 2020 02:00:00]

Random thing: clicking all the APNs on byzantium in history, the Verizon button somehow got things working while im at a coffee shop. So Access Point=Verizon, Network=Orange F. No idea why!

1 Like

It is not:

Using other cellular networks than the telecommunication carrier assigned to your phone plan in order to continue receiving service.

Plenty of people have posted that string here on this forum for their own modem. It should be safe to post. It shouldn’t be personally identifying, since many people will have the same modem firmware version.

But that’s OK. There is no need to post it.

The point of my post is that you can verify the output from BM818 Tool by comparing it directly with the output from the relevant AT command. (It is entirely possible that the tool simply issues the same AT command, but formats the output better.)

Of course, in theory, looking at security rather than privacy, it is never a good idea to advertise what version you have of anything - because that could guide an attacker as to which exploits exist and which do not exist, in your environment.

2 Likes

I realize your question is rhetorical, but in the context of mobile network plans, “roaming”, both domestic and foreign, refers to using other mobile providers’ networks when you are not within the coverage area of your contracted mobile provider’s network. Obviously, reciprocal roaming agreements have to be in place among the networks involved, e.g. between T-mobile and AT&T, or between T-mobile and Vodafone, Orange, etc.

It has to be intentionally enabled in your phone settings, and sometimes also in your online account settings (as with Ting’s foreign roaming coverage), because roaming can result in extra charges, sometimes high charges, especially in the case of roaming internationally.

If you travel or live near an international border, e.g. U.S./Canada, or U.S./Mexico, it’s usually recommended to keep roaming off, in order to avoid inadvertently switching to foreign mobile towers and incurring extra charges.

3 Likes

Ah, yeah okay. Thanks. I only ever used resellers who don’t own towers, as I understand, so I was never in a situation where I was paying a tower owner who needed to distinguish between their own towers and other peoples’ towers, so somehow I was picturing there would simply be “allowed” and “unallowed” towers and “unallowed” would hopefully be irrelevant or not appear, and “allowed” would just work. But that makes sense, if a rich tower owning company needs to troll users by allowing both, but fining them.

2 Likes

A reseller (or MVNO) uses the towers of the host network (MNO); some MVNOs can benefit from the domestic roaming agreements of the host network, and some not, depending on the MNO-to-MVNO contract and features. International roaming is a different story, though. I think fewer U.S. MVNOs get international roaming from their MNOs, at least according to my own experience when vetting U.S. MVNOs for international roaming. (I’m referring to calls+texts+data SIM roaming, not the use of eSIM data add-ons.)

1 Like