Librem 5: cool down trick

Some people here may or may not have picked-up that I am not a sysadmin or a developer :slight_smile:

How do I help? By making suggestions to others like this one: instead of using a cooling fan while running your Librem 5 all day as a “second” office computer, you can just use a cooling pack from the freezer. I also suggest putting a towel over the freezer pack.

I tried it today and it kept my Librem 5 nice and cool while streaming video all day for an education event. Worked great!

6 Likes

I remember doing that back in the first month or two when I got the L5 almost two years ago. Only that was just to keep it from overheating while charging the phone :joy:

4 Likes

You’re lucky. It’s impossible for me to do streaming because absolutly no brwoser work in desktop mode…any solution?

1 Like

If you need access to YouTube videos, you can use my Invidious instance, which is designed to work with embedded devices such as the Librem 5.

https://forums.puri.sm/t/vps-usage-suggestions/21788/27?u=franklyflawless

Otherwise, if you need access to Twitch livestreams/clips/VODs, you can potentially use my SafeTwitch instance, although there are currently no environment variables to pass to it to change its default video resolution.

https://forums.puri.sm/t/vps-usage-suggestions/21788/35?u=franklyflawless

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I had created a swapfile in the rootfs of the L5 long ago and noticed that it had a noticeable effect on device temperatures, due to significantly reduced memory operations in the CPU. More info here: Improve Your Librem 5's Performance (with this one weird trick)

2 Likes

Also, I should mention that other apps can utilize the Invidious API, such as FreeTube, so you do not necessarily need a web browser to take advantage of them.

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Ongoing communication challenges