Librem 5 External Monitor

Does anyone know what the upper limit on resolution is for an external display connected to the Librem 5 Evergreen? I’ve seen some videos in which people mention it seems to slow down at “higher” resolutions but I am not sure what those actually were, and there’s a definite difference in functional requirements between using a large display to have more screen real estate (which is important to me) and playing back video or a high framerate game at that same res (which is a nice-to-have but less critical).

1 Like

4K is the HDMI/Display-Port Limit of the SoC used.

Source: Comparing specs of upcoming Linux phones

1 Like

@phenonate, You should be able to get 4K video at 30fps from the Librem 5 with no problem. If you want 4K video at 60fps, that requires a special hub that supports 4 DisplayPort lane pairs or a direct DisplayPort cable from the Librem 5 to your monitor.

The video out at high resolutions is slow because the Librem 5 is not using framebuffer compression. Once that is enabled, it should improve the responsiveness of video out. There are other things like hardware acceleration in GTK4 and voltage scaling in the GPU that will also improve the graphics performance in the future.

The GC7000Lite in the Librem 5 supports Vulkan 1.0, OpenCL 1.2, OpenGL 3.0 and OpenGL 3.1, but the free Etnaviv driver only supports OpenGL ES 2.0 and OpenGL 2.1, so that limits the 3D graphics performance. Nonetheless, the Librem 5 performs well on the glmark2 benchmarks.

For more info, see:

2 Likes

I have heard that OpenGL 3.1 will be supported to free Etnaviv driver?? I wish the Librem 5 to run opengl-3.1 to get nice graphics and performance.

According to this article, the Etnaviv devs are working on adding support for OpenGL ES 3.0, but I don’t think that its ready yet. A Google search didn’t turn up anything.

1 Like

you can contribute financially towards your goal here > https://puri.sm/fund-your-app/

use the custom suggestion field / notes if your app or thing is not there on the page (scroll to the bottom of the page)

1 Like