Librem 5 external screen

Hi guys!

did anyone have any problem connecting a hdmi screen to the Librem 5?

when the monitor is connected using a usb-c to hdmi cable and I go into the display area inside the phone settings, this settings page toggles around between the UI when there is nothing connected and the UI when there is an external screen connected (one second in one, one second in the other), and eventually the phone shuts down.

could it be my cable?

thanks!

Does sudo dmesg show you any errors when you plug in to the external monitor?

It isn’t really a cable. USB-C to HDMI involves active conversions (with a Librem 5), so it is really an adapter. Can you link to the product?

Do you have another adapter, or a dock, that you could try? Another monitor?

Do the problems only start when a monitor is actually connected? (If not then lsusb -v is your friend to get an idea of how the adapter presents itself. If nothing else, the USB vendor and product id are useful in case this particular one just doesn’t work.)

What are the specs of the monitor v. the specs of the adapter? (In particular if you have a 4K UHD monitor then not all adapters will support that, at least not at 60 Hz. So keeping it undemanding and using, say, a FHD monitor would be helpful.)

To answer the question: no, I didn’t. I have used
a) USB-C cable direct to a monitor that has a USB-C input
b) USB-C to HDMI adapter to a monitor that has an HDMI input
c) USB-C dock with HDMI port (among other ports) to a monitor that has an HDMI input

and all three worked to the extent that the external monitor was recognised, and was stable, and the Librem 5 displayed “blue hexagons” on the external monitor.

didn’t see anything that catch my eyes. the problem is that the phone eventually restarts and after there is a lot of noise.

It isn’t really a cable. USB-C to HDMI involves active conversions (with a Librem 5), so it is really an adapter. Can you link to the product?

do you have another adapter, or a dock, that you could try? Another monitor?

I’m about to order dock, so I can have a keyboard as well. I’ve tried on a second monitor (same model as the first) and a TV, I have another monitor, but didn’t have the time yet.

What are the specs of the monitor v. the specs of the adapter? (In particular if you have a 4K UHD monitor then not all adapters will support that, at least not at 60 Hz. So keeping it undemanding and using, say, a FHD monitor would be helpful.)

no 4k here, it is a old monitor (Samsung F2380)

Do the problems only start when a monitor is actually connected? (If not then lsusb -v is your friend to get an idea of how the adapter presents itself. If nothing else, the USB vendor and product id are useful in case this particular one just doesn’t work.)

yes, only when the monitor is connected. I didn’t have the time to dig deeper into it yet, I need a dock to connect the keyboard as well.

1 Like

I think I’ve seen that endlessly cycling problem when the USB port was supplying insufficient power (however that wasn’t with a Librem 5). A powered dock may be a better option.