Librem 5 GPS/Location Tracking

Just for a check (it solves nothing). Can you try with L5 upside, but with ~10cm distance from the baking plate as in this image

To verify if you get similar results as @guru

My assumption is that the antenna is not well connected and that the GPS module is receiving just by itself (which tells me that it’s a good quality module). A little bit extra ‘internal antenna’ amplification by a reflective surface on the right distance could than just be enough.

If I received my L5 (still waiting :cry:) I would try to fix the antenna connection (if reachable).

1 Like

@Jan2 Could you clarify what we are to understand from the images?

Is the idea that the solid line from e.g. S1 to L5 via the metal plate can (with luck) be very close to an integral number of wavelengths longer than the dashed line? Then, the signal strength can effectively be doubled for that particular satellite?

In that case, to get the best result, the metal surface (baking plate or whatever) should be as large as possible, and the L5 should be placed at least one wavelength (about 20 centimeters?) above the metal surface?

If the metal surface was infinitely large then it would not matter if the L5 was placed significantly higher, like several wavelengths above it, but given that the metal plate is of limited size it is probably best to place the L5 at about one wavelength above the metal, since moving it higher means satellites closer to the horizon cannot benefit from the metal surface?

A possible improvement could be to put a few (many!) more baking plates around the center one, effectively creating a larger metal surface?

Perhaps also put some of the plates at a slight angle as above, making it possible to get 3x signal strength for some very lucky satellite? :slight_smile:

Will we have to bring the entire contents of our kitchen along with us when we are navigating? lol.

4 Likes

Antenna design for mobile GPS is much more complex than the space available in this forum allows for explanation (and I don’t regard myself as an expert in this field). The antenna used in the GPS module is most probably a Planar Inverted-F antenna (PIFA), although other variations are possible.
What I tried to explain was the effect of a bad antenna connection. The differences between the receiving path, direct - indirect, is exaggerated and partly misleading …
For reflection of the back plane or earth it’s best to assume that both direct and indirect path are passing through the antenna. The next picture explains the amplifying effect of reflector at 1/2 wavelength.
antennaHalfLambda
The dotted line is the reflected wave, arriving at the antenna in the same phase as the direct signal. As such the reflector improves the GPS signal, hopefully just enough to increase signal/noise ratio above the threshold level.

To answer your question: the reflector is best placed on an integral number of half wavelengths.
The use of many baking plates leads ultimo to a parabolic reflector. It’s best to put the L5 in the focus-point :laughing:

1 Like

What I understand from this and other explanations in this tread and from own experiments, it seems to me that in the L5 something around the GNSS chip/antenna/earthing is bad or let’s say not optimal constructed, i.e. it is a hardware issue. While any software issue can relatively easy be fixed by installing an updated version, how Purism could address such a hardware issue?

And, why they didn’t detected this before in own tests, or in the versions before Evergreen?

I tested this. The L5 can get a fix in this configuration. But also when the with the screen down 10 cm above the baking plate.

It is quite difficult to exactly determine how all factors influence each other, but I think that the following statements are true:

• Screen down works better than screen up;
  • With metal oven baking plate is better than without it;
  • 10 cm above metal oven baking plate is better than directly on top of it.

It seems that the best results are obtained by having the L5 screen down, 10 cm above the metal over baking place (and outside, obviously).

When I have the seemingly optimal configuration inside at the top level of my house, some satellites do show a s/n value, but I did not get a 3D fix.

Also note: when the L5 has a 3D fix, which I monitor with this line:

sudo socat unix-client:/var/run/gnss_share.sock - | grep -aE --line-buffered '^\$GNGSA,[DANE],[1-3],[0-9]{2}'

It looks like it can hold the fix when putting the L5 in less optimal positions. When I then stop the command with CTRL-C, but keep the phone in the less optimal position, the L5 cannot establish a 3D fix again. So, I think that somehow the L5 can sometimes maintain a 3D fix in a location where it cannot freshly establish a 3D fix.

Are there any L5 owners that can always easily get and maintain a 3D fix when outside, without applying special configurations?

4 Likes

Mine seems to get decent SNR values quickly and easily - and gets a fix.

I don’t know whether it’s a 3D fix. Would have to study the message spec.

I’m not using any special software. Just grep -a xxx /dev/gnss0

1 Like

As I mentioned before, antenna problems are per definition very complex. Taken into account that GPS signals are relatively weak, variations in mm of antenna placing can already have big effects. Especial the connection between antenna and module is critical. Even if the connection is soldered, the connection may deteriorate due to e.g. vibration during transport. Example: a hairline crack in the connection induces a wave-reflection point, resulting in a severe reduction of signal. If this, for the naked eye invisible, crack is on the right place then the result is a better reception… (see: Standing wave theory)

You can find a more in dept evaluation of mobile GPS antenna problems here: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/brochure/75016740.pdf

If the percentage of bad GPS receiving L5’s is high, I strongly advice a re-engineering of the GPS antenna construction. A robust design is needed for large quantity production.

Purism confirms antenna possible problems on some pieces. It has been already mentioned in this thread and there is somewhere suggestion how to try fix ground connection between metal frame and board. I have not found time and courage to disassemble my Librem 5 and try to fix that. But I try that when I have less duties at the university and company

There is fix heading to mainline which can probably lower some interference between SDIO and GNSS receiver. I am not sure/not checked yet, if it is already included in stable kernel 5.13.0-1-librem5. If you have while, you can check if switching WiFi off enhances SNR

arm64: dts: imx8mq-librem5: Limit the max sdio frequency
This is needed for the 1LV Cyress WiFi module to probe correctly.
It also helps improve GNSS sensitivity.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=09d255f0beb5370440e75a6bf7872f56b26ab4c9

By the way, I have tested GPXsee for Garmin offline image maps. It could be usable. I have enhanced GPXsee to support zoom by pinch on the touchscreen

See branch zoom-by-pinch in my fork

and pull request

If there interest, I pud my Librem 5 build somewhere or even prepare deb package…

3 Likes

I tried to switch Wifi/BT off as the FAQ suggests in https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/community-wiki/-/wikis/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions#4-privacy-and-security
with

#Disable WiFi/Bluetooth
echo 0 | sudo tee /sys/class/leds/wifi_en/brightness

because you can not switch off all three HKS (which would shutdown the GNSS too). But the file /sys/class/leds/wifi_en/brightness does not exist in my OS Byzantium. Any idea?

But if you switch off mobile and WiFi off then interference from the sensors should be minimal. Cameras should be stopped (power down) as well when not used. So I think that test and comparison with modem and wifi on and off by switches should be enough.

Regarding GPXsee update with zoom by pinch gesture support on Librem 5 see

a company doing such an excelent marketing should at least be able to design a hardware that can do gnss. otherwise i suspect they do bigger efforts in sales than in producing their products. while that is normal in todays usual companies i wouldnt expect that from an open source company

1 Like

I regard this an unfair statement. Even with thorough design and testing of prototypes you still can be unlucky in exception cases. Still remember the “dead grip” of some Iphones. In production batches this type of incidental cases reveals itself in bigger samples. It can than be solved for next generations and manual repair in individual cases.

9 Likes

which is apple which for sure has the marketing problem i describe: much more effort is put into convincing people than developing the product. apple produced alot of failures that easily could have been avoided by putting more efforts in.

Are you willing to share the content of the mails you got back from Purism? This will help me to determine if I have to contact them as well or not. I prefer to keep the load of the Purism support as low as possible, so maybe if you share their replies, it will not be necessary for me to contact them.

1 Like

i can tell the flow but can’t paste the text without senders permission. 11/25 i told them about the problem, 11/27 they answered which kind of debugging i did (while i pointed them to this thread where this question was already answered), 11/27 i answered what i did, 11/29 they asked for my script i used, 11/30 i answered i used cat /dev/gnss0 | awk '/G.GSV/{print $0}', 11/30 they told its forwarded to the dev and asked for the order number (which should be clear from my email adress already), 11/30 i send the number, 12/1 i asked what the devs say, 12/1 they asked me for patience, 12/13 they came up with a test flow that i already did (written here in the thread), 12/14 i told them so, 12/23 i asked for any updates, 12/25 they told ‘not yet’.

1 Like

where? can you give a link?

What exaclty is the fix?

Possibly a reference to: Librem 5 GPS/Location Tracking

I have consulted Librem 5 design with Marek Peca, long term expert for satellite two way time synchronization and microelectronic and optronics systems designs and reserach. His modulators and receivers are used in space and CZ company Eltvor.cz/ works on new modems delivery to ESA now. Time modems use similar but more advanced TDM and correlation techniques as GNSS. He works at ESA on next satellites etc.

We have analyzed Librem 5 Evergreen schematics diagram. It is shame that components placement is not provided. But we moved forward a little anyway. There seems to be multiple alternatives how to assemble the board. Actual design and assembly clamps U20 BGA725L6 Low Noise GNSS Amplifier (LNA) input to the screw TS3 SC-M1.4. The resistor R256 and inductor L3 are shortcut. Rest of adaptation/resonator is not assembled. Location of the ANT3 ECT818000500 connector is not clean, visible or is under LNA shielding. I have not disassembled my Librem 5 yet, I wait for Purism confirmation about warranty in such case. It seems that signal is sourced from the TS3 screw which is connected to some antenna on the other board side. May be on heat spreader or somewhere??? Has somebody a photo?

Colleague considers problematic about 20 mm narrow path against the board (probably FR4 prepreg) to LNA which can cause significant signal loses. He considers as strange relatively high distance between antenna input (screw) and grounding point marked in Purism’s note. He suggest to add another connection between frame and PCB ground near to the screw path. The design of the line through screw is suspicious to me, how is controlled line impedance computed through that point? It can be source of many reflections probably.

He suggest to bring signal by coax to the LNA input. He thinks that he have some antennas to test that. I can imagine that building Librem 5 remix with external connector and bigger GNSS antenna can result in high quality positioning device. External antenna can be outside of car or boat then. Simple quarter-wave antenna for 1575.42 MHz (wavelength 0.19 m) should be around 48 mm. In the case of need and probably some funding, I can ask people who develop systems for antenna design simulations at our university or may it be some would provide input on base of their enthusiasm. In the fact Marek experiments with antennas design for satellites now.

The Librem 5 photo and components analysis by Marek Peca

BlackBerry back cover GNSS antenna

Generally I understand that design in the constrained space is demanding, but there the seems to be some problem. I have never seen S/N above 27% of full scale on my Librem 5. Mostly around 10% which is miracle that STM TESEO-LIV3F even gets fix/lock sometimes. So all available design data should be provided to help with analysis and looking for solutions.

15 Likes