Librem 5 GPS/Location Tracking

Near Munich in a smaller village.

Too bad a little too far from me(near Dortmund).

Hello. Wanted to bump this post again. I noted a post by Chris Vogel that he apparently is working with Devs to make GPS good on the Librem 5. See here: Chris: "I'm really excited for the next release of geoclu…" - Fosstodon

My issue? GPS has gotten worse for me over the last few GNSS updates (or whatever updates I think I see over the last few months). I use Pure Maps. Every once and awhile, if I wait any odd number of minutes, I can get a decent fix and, maybe, get navigation to work for a little while before more problems, etc.

Does anybody have a better GPS experience than me? I am wondering if I need to re-flash the OS or re-install GEOClue. Maybe just wait for whatever miracle update is coming?

Thoughts?

1 Like

I’m just assuming everything is coming whenever crimson drops. (maybe too hopeful)

1 Like

It has been much better for me lately. Do not ask me why.

1 Like

Actually, and I do not want to speak too soon, but navigation has been nearly flawless lately. Routing can make some strange choices but I accept that.

Furthermore, I managed to get PureMaps to talk to me like a pirate. So that is pretty great too.

6 Likes

For me it improved a lot after doing this: Debugging location issues - #9 by db579

3 Likes

Note that PureMaps doesn’t use the Freedesktop locations portal so that library backport won’t affect it. Does help for flatpak apps that do use the portal though like Gnome Maps for example.

3 Likes

this is mostly what worked for me
though only started working when

1. I was a passenger on a prairie highway
  2. i turned wifi hard switch off (this is probably the key)

still playing with it.

How did you get PureMaps to speak at all?? I want to make it sound like the computer from Star Trek (The Original Series)!

1 Like

There are a settings for language in “navigation routing” for individual routes. I do not recall Star Trek being in any remote way an option. Sorry.

I looked again. The choices are in the navigation language setting. The option was “English pirate”. I believe you need to have a route chosen and displayed, then change the navigation language setting. Still no Star Trek :frowning:

1 Like

Majel Barrett would be awesome but not available. At least I couldn’t find for free / freely available.
Interestingly, the Speech Note app’s (which has several voices - but no authentically trekkie) last update included something (“Actions”) that I interpret as maybe a potential way to make many other apps speak…

3 Likes

I see the PureMaps language option, but how do you get it to speak? SpeechNote? That’s something I ran across when looking at Ollama, but I haven’t tried it yet.

1 Like

I just drive my car with voice-guided navigational routing on. It tells me where to go and turn, etc.

1 Like

That’s what I mean… I don’t see where to enable voice-guided nav. I may be overlooking the obvious, or maybe it’s hidden in the low-contrast lameness that is dark-mode plus QT Flatpaks.

1 Like

Hamburger menu - preferences - navigation. Then a button for “voice navigation instructions”.

I am using the flatpak version of Puremaps.

2 Likes

For voice navigation, in Pure Maps go to settings → preferences → navigation → set “Voice navigation instructions” on and select voice gender. It’s not trekkie but its pretty “computer” (or “Stephen Hawking” :eight_pointed_black_star: :man_in_motorized_wheelchair: :robot:). Route instructions are read aloud when you start navigation (route).

1 Like

I don’t see an actual “hamburger” menu (three stacked horizontal lines). I do have a button with a 3x3 grid of dots. That did lead to preferences and there it was! I am getting snow now, so it may be a day or two before I try it on the road.

Thanks!

2 Likes

For voice testing, you don’t even have to go anywhere - just start any route to hear it. I’m not sure if OSM Scout server is needed (I had it on) or if it has anything to do with this (probably not).

I found this snippet: “Voice navigation requires that you manually install a text-to-speech (TTS) engine – Mimic, Flite, PicoTTS and Espeak are supported. Their quality is about in that order, with Mimic and PicoTTS available from this repository. See corresponding TTS engines for language covereage.” [I don’t think I’ve manually installed those, so I assume they’ve either been added or came with the L5]

I’m wondering if pinging might help to get @rinigus to elaborate, if or how to change default voices (if not as a permanent feature then perhaps as a hack - like by replacing the default voice files or something)…?

2 Likes

I tinker too much to not take notes… It spoke when I started a route, so I must have installed a TTS engine on some whim months ago. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes