Librem 5 media (photos and videos)

New video. I like it a lot. Well done. :+1:

18 Likes

Hi Caliga. This is supposed to be a Birch model. If it is, why not to use a Dogwood instead? It is a great presentation anyway!

It is a great video. One that is easy to show my non-techie friends and family. It was a solid move to produce the video and do it with high production value.

The intended audience of this video will not discern such things. They are essentially irrelevant. Whether it is Birch, Dogwood, etc. the modularity of the phone is a guarantee, as this was a chief marketing and product goal.

No company would market the phone this way, produce a video like this, and then in 6 months make it not modular.

7 Likes

Using Dogwood would have complicated the video, since you have to show removing the extra internal panel over the M.2 cards and show the 20 test points below the WiFi/BT card. However, there isn’t much real difference in terms of the video.

5 Likes

i see someone used a physically based material in the 3d-render … can you guess what render engine it was ? :stuck_out_tongue:

This advert is awesome, I really hope Purism not only succeed but they thrive.

However, until there are independant, at length video reviews showing person to person calls, SMS, and all other relevant features, from people all over, then it still begs the question “when will we see a out of the box fully working phone”?

What Purism has done is amazing!

People really need to release more reviews to help things progress.

I don’t think the current status of the phone is any mystery. Reviewing something that isn’t complete doesn’t make any sense. How would a house half finished be a fair review subject?

The transparency that Purism is demonstrating regarding the development of the phone is intentional for this exact reason.

4 Likes

Everyone who has used the phone says that cellular phone calls work (except for @Skalman who is trying to use an American modem in Europe, so it doesn’t support the right cellular bands). MakeUseOf has posted a YouTube review where he makes a phone call, and he reported that it isn’t loud enough in speaker phone mode, but you can hear the other person responding.

By the way, read my comments to that YouTube video, because the MakeUseOf reviewer seemed to have no idea that he was reviewing a development version of the phone, so you need to take his opinions with a heap of salt.

My current prediction is that Purism will ship Evergreen in December 2020, but it will still have some rough edges, that need to be resolved with later software updates.The major issues are: 1. suspend to RAM, 2. the cellular modem being able to wake up the rest of the system when a call is received, 3. getting the MIPI-CSI2 interface to work so we can use the cameras, and 4. creating a GTK camera app.

Purism had to cut back its programming staff in March-April, so it is going to take longer than originally expected to complete the Librem 5. There are 6 Purism programmers (Guido Gunther, Mohammed Sadiq, Sebastian Krzyszkowiak, Dorota Czaplejewicz, Angus Ainslie and Martin Kepplinger) currently working on the Librem 5’s software, which is a very small team for such an enormous task and it is going to take a while. We are just going to have to be patient, because a small company like Purism simply doesn’t have the resources to make this happen quickly.

7 Likes

In case people are feeling ambitious and want to help, please see what Guido had at the bottom of the June 2020 Software Update post:

We welcome you to join a discussion or submit patches on https://source.puri.sm. If you want to grab an issue and can’t think of a particular problem, check the easy and helpwanted tags in our GitLab instance.

4 Likes

@amosbatto - you forgot Adrien Plazas :wink:

1 Like

@amosbatto - you forgot Adrien Plazas :wink:

Unfortunately, if you check their activity, Andrea Schaefer, Bob Ham, Sam Hewitt, Adrien Plazas, Julian Sparber and Tobias Bernard appear to have left the Librem 5 project (or their work is currently suspended).

2 Likes

I didn’t dig all their names but at least Adrien Plazas is very active on libhandy development:

Beware that some developments is done upstream directly. And some projects moved (like libhandy) so it could very well be that on source.puri.sm one shows no activity since some time because development has moved elsewhere (ie, gitlab.gnome.org).

Probably for some of the (ex-)employees you mentionned they are indeed no longer working on the Librem 5, but I don’t think it is the case for Adrien (and hopefuly, he seems to be the main contributor to libhandy).

5 Likes

You’re right. I forgot that libhandy switched to using GNOME’s infrastructure. OK, make that 7 programmers with Adrien Plazas.

Maybe Tobias Bernard also uses GNOME infrastructure, so I’m not sure about him, but he does IU/UX stuff, so that isn’t the hardcore programming work.

1 Like

True. But I would rather see “half a house” in more detail, so I get more of an idea of what this awsome mansion will look like eventually :+1::blush:

Some very good points thank you I appreciate it.

I understand it will take time. It will surely be great once finished.

I beg to differ. If this phone is to be usable to the masses, UI is hardcore. It is essential to the functionality as a whole.

It may be true that the UI can never expose functionality that does not already exist at lower levels, and which someone had to create. However if the lower level functionality is only exposed in such a user-unfriendly manner that almost noone uses the functionality then the functionality is probably wasted.

You and I may be happy to drop into the shell for functionality that is missing a GUI but I want this phone to thrive, not just survive. Anyway, using the shell without a keyboard can be tiresome.

5 Likes

I agree that good UI/UX is necessary, but Tobias Bernard wasn’t writing any code as far as I can tell. His activity was making comments, opening issues in the bug tracker, creating mockups for the design of software, etc., so I don’t count him in the programming team for the Librem 5.

(In my experience, UI designers who don’t write the code themselves can slow down a project.)

Um… enough media thread hijacking? :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

Is there a Go Fund Me page where we can buy these guys pizza :pizza: and coffee :coffee:?

4 Likes

yes, please avoid this

1 Like