Librem 5 + Nextcloud

Will this be finished before Evergreen shipping?

So I have to install Mobian instead of PureOS as an OS to make this work?
I do not get your point with Mobian. Sorry. This is an alternative OS, right?

That’s not easy. I’ll try again :slight_smile:

One operating system running on desktops and servers is Debian. It’s based on the linux kernel and a lot of open source software and some closed source firmware needed to use some of the hardware it is made for.

Purism took Debian and took away all the closed source parts to get endorsed by the Free Software Foundation. They added some stuff to the installer and various software packets to make PureOS more suitable for their vision of what people should get.

Purism then took PureOS and adopted it to run on the mobile device Librem5 they develop and build.

Another project took Debian and altered it to run on mobile devices like the pinephone, the pinetab and the Librem5. Their focus is to make it work technically and they do not change much the Debian policy to fit some ideals or political goals (like e.g. making the FSF happy).

The root of all theses project is Debian and at least a subset of the different software packages offered by Debian. Also the package format (the way the software is packed together to ensure that after installation in a system it can successfully be started) for all of these projects is the same.

One could draw a family tree to make a picture of the situation :slight_smile: .

This leads to the situation that stuff that is developed or improved in one of theses projects is directly usable by any of the others. The work and effort that goes into Debian directly improves PureOS.

Mobian adopted e.g. Phosh as the mobile shell from PureOS.

The situation with PureOS for desktops and mobile is even a lot closer: They are based on the same Debian sources compiled for arm64 and amd64.

Basically when nextcloud integration makes you happy on your PureOS desktop it will make you happy on your Librem5 because it is the same software running.

Thinks working in Mobian on a pinephone will - maybe with some delay - work in PureOS for Librem5 eventually. Improvements on the Librem5 GUI will show up in Mobian the same way.

These projects are really close to each other even though they follow different ideas they develop in great parts on the same software to reach their goals.

2 Likes

That’s very kind, indeed. And somehow I already understood what you explained prior to that. But now you nailed it down for me.

Must be this upstream - downstream - thing I heard of. :wink:

Nextcloud is syncing contacts and calender in my Desktop running PureOS, but @lipu wrote:

So some room for improvement?!

Yes, there might be problems I do not get aware of, because there are different use scenarios.

Mine is that I use a PureOS desktop, an old Android phone and a pinephone running mobian. I do not care about the nextcloud web-interface and rarely look at it. Using contacts on PureOS and Mobian I only look at the data which I maintain on the Android device.

The contact synchronization between the three devices with this use case works good for me.

@lipu Out of interest: Did you try evolution also?

I cannot be sure of that, I am sorry

1 Like

Not really, and I realize there is a challenge in knowing what is the correct data. Once I have an idea how to ensure the pedigree of my calendar entries in this interop swamp, I’ll try experimenting with Thunderbird/Lightning, Evolution, Gnome Calendar, Nextcloud Calendar…

Is it ok if I bump this thread?

I set up Nextcloud as Online Account but it does not seem to sync the contacts within the Contacts app.

Did anyone try this with their device?

Thanks,
Antonio

I got the contacts and appointments synced.
I may need sometime.
And you have to select the nextcloud contacts to be shown in the contacts app. (Same for calendar)

Thanks for the reply

This is how I set up Nextcould in “Online Accounts”

Here what I set in Contacts

Is this correct? Because I set it up like 2 hours ago and nothing has syncronized so far. Is there anything I can verify in the logs (if so where?)

Thanks

Looks good from my point of view.

I don’t know any logs.
But may be someone else?

You could also try to search online. This is a generic gnome interface. (Not Librem5 or PureOS specific)

I have a similar setup and it works fine.

All fine!

Layer 8 issue. It works as intended.

4 Likes

Hi everyone!
I open my settings
Clic on Online Account
I clic on Nextcloud
They ask me a Server, a UserName and a password.

Ok, is it possible to explain how I can sync my contact and calendar? I have absolutly no idea…

Hi Marts, you just did 90% of it… all that is left is open contacts app and select to use the contacts of your nextcloud account you just provided.

1 Like

Sorry, I was not clear : I don’t know what to do when they ask me a server…

You have to put here the URL of the Nextcloud server. In my case it looks like this:

https://example.com/nextcloud

Basically the same URL that you use to go to the main page of your Nextcloud server in the browser.

Finally I have my Nextcloud account. But nothing is sync : no contact, no agenda is on the cloud… When I ask to Backup app to make a Backup, he say to me :

Traceback (innermost last):
File “/usr/bin/duplicity”, line 122, in
with_tempdir(main)
File “/usr/bin/duplicity”, line 108, in with_tempdir
fn()
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/duplicity/dup_main.py”, line 1522, in main
action = commandline.ProcessCommandLine(sys.argv[1:])
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/duplicity/commandline.py”, line 1187, in ProcessCommandLine
config.backend = backend.get_backend(args[0])
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/duplicity/backend.py”, line 223, in get_backend
obj = get_backend_object(url_string)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/duplicity/backend.py”, line 209, in get_backend_object
return factory(pu)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/duplicity/backends/giobackend.py”, line 96, in init
self.remote_file.make_directory_with_parents(None)
gi.repository.GLib.GError: g-io-error-quark: Operation not supported (15)

Is this about Duplicity or Nextcloud?

It’s when I clic on the « Backup » bouton I receve this…