Librem 5: no sign of life

@amarok Based on past posts by you it seems that your USB board is bad and probably needs replaced. I had a similar problems on one of mine.

3 Likes

So, no battery shuffle? Do I start the procedure with the phone connected to the computer already, or before, or after the volume-up-plus-power-button step?

And if it’s successful, what should happen? Do I then see the L5’s file structure in the file manager on the computer, or in the terminal?

1 Like

It show up in the terminal, only, after the script executes.

2 Likes

No need for a battery shuffle. You can connect the Librem 5 at any stage of the procedure, but I personally prefer to do it already connected. If successful, the Jumpdrive script will execute, then the partitions will be mounted in Nautilus. If you are very fortunate, your Librem 5 will also display that Jumpdrive is running and the LED indicates a solid green.

2 Likes

Failed (if I did it right).

xxx@xxx:~/jumpdrive$ ./boot-purism-librem5.sh
uuu (Universal Update Utility) for nxp imx chips -- libpureos/1.2.91+0git6b465-0pureos+librem5.2-1-g5e5fee8

Success 0    Failure 0                                                         

1/ 0   [ 
2 Likes

It looks like the script was trying to execute, but was unable to successfully start. That implies that the Librem 5 is already in flash mode, but the Librem 5 and its LED are not providing any information about its state. While you are waiting for @dos to potentially reply, I suggest emailing Purism support.

1 Like

Tried again on a different computer, with a freshly-downloaded Jumpdrive package from Purism:

xxx@xxx:~/purism-librem5$ ./boot-purism-librem5.sh
uuu (Universal Update Utility) for nxp imx chips -- lib1.4.193

Success 0    Failure 0    Wait for Known USB Device Appear...  

Still doesn’t see the L5.

2 Likes

I sent a repair request to Support today and received an immediate auto-acknowledgment with ticket number. I’ll report here after someone from the team responds.

@JCS , FYI.

2 Likes

After 13 days of intermittently trying unsuccessfully to turn it on, charge it, and removing/replacing the battery, connecting to outlets, laptops, disengaging killswitches, etc., today, after taking the battery out for a few minutes, then putting it back in, and plugging the included charger into the outlet…

…it finally came back to life.

Charge is starting at 0%.

Gremlins, I guess?

P.S. I still haven’t heard from Support after their initial auto-acknowledgment assigning the ticket number.

P.P.S. Lots of lovely updates were waiting.

6 Likes

Sounds like the ghosts and ghouls from Halloween had enough fun tormenting your device for now.

1 Like