Librem 5: no sign of life

• Charged 2 days ago in power-off state until LED extinguished, then disconnected it.
  • Confirmed it was powered down by briefly pressing power button to make sure screen didn’t illuminate.
  • Left it without usage for 2 days.
  • Today it wouldn’t power on with either the usual power button press, or with a long-long power button hold.
  • Connected charging cable and plugged into electric outlet, but no automatic power-on (which is what usually happens when I plug it in), and no charging LED (which I usually don’t get until I power down after plugging it in).
  • Disconnected phone, removed battery, replugged to outlet: no sign of life.
  • Disconnected phone, disabled functionalities by engaging the killswitches, removed battery, held volume-up button, plugged to outlet, reinserted battery, released volume button: no sign of life.
  • Left it connected to electric power for over an hour with no apparent effect: no sign of charging (no LED and no apparent heat generation).
  • Tried a different cable, plugged into electric outlet (no effect), into laptop (no effect).
  • Connected to electric outlet again, with original charging cable, waiting to see if it eventually comes back to life.

@dos, ideas?

P.S. I have a known, working cable orientation marked with small pieces of tape, so I know that orientation is not the problem.

EDIT: In case it’s not clear from above, I did try to power on with the electric connection, without battery, unsuccessfully.

3 Likes

Wow, serious. How about: Tuesday May, 12 1998 - Kevin & Kell? (sorry)

Seriously: Apparently-dead L5 seems to suggest that you need charged battery. I have similar experience, but I’m not sure if it was same, and in that case managed to boot using my spare battery (and got life from other after using separate battery charger). Why a charged battery worked and not the cable, I have no idea. That would be one more thing to try, if you have one of those type of chargers that have been shown here too?

2 Likes

I don’t, but I’ve been meaning to order an extra battery from Purism, so I guess the time is now.

1 Like

Is the Librem 5 able to be detected by the host computer in any meaningful manner? Using Jumpdrive may still be possible.

I basically shelved mine for I don’t even know how long, probably a year or two shortly after it shipped. The battery was done when I went back to it, of course. But I was able to charge it without any external charger stuff at the time (I don’t even own an external battery charger).

2 Likes

Ay, it was a bit strange behavior. I tried normal charging first too, of course. I’m just telling what happened.

2 Likes

I don’t think so… Would it be detectable if it can’t power on?

1 Like

Yeah same here, just FYI.

I have a “regular” Evergreen, for what it’s worth. Maybe there’s some slight variance in the different models?

1 Like

I don’t know, but maybe power from the computer USB port could power the L5 USB port electronics enough for some communcation to happen.

1 Like

It is possible, so try using Jumpdrive.

1 Like

What are the steps in this context? I’ve only ever used Jumpdrive for reflashing.

P.S. lsusb shows nothing related to the L5 when connected.

1 Like

I think you point seven covered and excluded jumpdrive working.

2 Likes

I had the same thing happen. Here is how I got everything working again.

1.) Take the battery out of the phone.
2.) Plug the power cable in to the phone and boot the phone with no battery in it.
3.) With the phone on and booted up, push the battery in to the phone.
4.) Keep the phone on and the battery in, until the battery is finished charging. This might take a few days.

My problem was that the battery was so dead that it provided a load, not a source of power. It sucks so much power from the wall charger that the phone gets little to no power, not enough to power on. The phone appears to be an intelligent charging manager. But it can’t do anything if it can’t turn on. The battery seems to rely on the phone to manage its charging, otherwise it won’t charge. So which comes first, the chicken or the egg. So try getting the phone to work without the battery in first. I feared that as soon as the battery was pushed in to its cavity, that the phone would die. But in my case, that didn’t happen. That temporary dead state left no lasting damage. It’s been a year now and my L5 still works normally.

1 Like

I appreciate the suggestion, but as I wrote:

1 Like

Why hold the volume button up or mess with the kill switches. Just remove the battery, plug in the phone to the power brick, and then turn the phone on the usual way using the power-up button. If that gives you a working phone, then force the battery in to its cavity.

1 Like

See the first bullet point in my previous comment. (And I did try to power it on at that point.)

The second bullet point procedure was just me following an instruction I saw somewhere in the forum, or in the docs.

1 Like

When I had a similar problem, I had turned off the phone using a shutdown command in a terminal window and then let the phone sit unused for a few weeks. That method leaves some things still powered up.

At any rate, if the phone won’t power up, you need either a new power supply, or your phone is broken. The link below goes to a power supply that works well for my Librem 5. Using a known good power supply seems like the next troubleshooting step.

2 Likes

Thanks. I suppose it could also be a problem with the charging internals.

BTW, since the battery did charge for hours on the last “good” day, I would think the power supply is not likely to be the problem, given that the battery has, or had, enough juice to power on the phone. (But didn’t.)
:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Good Luck.

Did you load test the battery charger and the battery (both) to assure that the both are delivering an appropriate amount of current (Amps or mili-amps) in both cases? You need to find out the manufacturers specifications for current requirements in both cases to know if things aren’t working correctly. A voltage test alone can’t tell you much unless the voltage drops to near zero under a reasonable load, which may not happen, even if either the wall power supply or the battery is bad.

You could do a lot of electrical testing (load and voltage drop testing, looking up specifications). But that big charger has been so convenient for me that I bought several of them and gave them out to family members as gifts. They charge anything quickly. No more finding the right charger for the given device and no more long waiting for things to charge.

2 Likes

Instructions:

In your case, I would assume the LED is not working, but the device itself does.

1 Like