Librem 5 passcode lenght

Hi,
i am getting my new Librem 5 evergreen today and i dont know what version of pure os is installed and i wonder what lenght digit passcode can be. Only 6 digit or up to 16 like on android? I preffer digits for passcode.

Please advise!

Thanks

See previous posts:

You have the disc decryption pw and the user pw (initially both set to 123456). Both support letters and a full keyboard is available but convenience may push using a lengthy/strong mixed character decrypt pw and numeric user pw as the numpad is shown by default with screen lock, for instance. Max length for LUKS is probably (as in, may change) 511 characters (as in 512-1, see cryptsetup --help). User pw may be limited by memory only (there is a good explanation here), but you may want to limit to less than hundred if you are hand typing on touch keyboard (not sure if there is memory for that, didn’t calculate, sorry). If my (bio)memory serves, you can set the rule for minimum length, requirement for mixed characters (or not), or even set that there is no pw (and to have no disc encryption, but that’s another matter).

1 Like

This is great news! Could you tell us when you ordered it to update this graph?

2 Likes

Hi,
i ordered it on 15 May 2018 and got it yesterday by DHL and paid 137,43 eur for the customs.
I changed disk passphrase with success but i am kind of confused if i can use mix of numbers letters and symbols for the password of the lock screen there is written i can use only 6 digits so i changed to six digit password but i dont know how long that password can be so i will not be locked out. I should have maximum password strenght for the lock screen so, are there allowed symbols letters or only digits. I have byzantium on my librem 5 wich is fully updated.
Thanks!

3 Likes

You can use the passwd command in the terminal to create a stronger password for the user account (and therefore the lockscreen). The UI for setting the user password in the Settings has not yet been updated to include letters and symbols.

1 Like

Which means that you should only use numbers for the password until the Phosh login screen supports passwords with other characters. About 7 months ago, I tried making the password an empty string, and Phosh wouldn’t let me login with that. Then I tried a single digit, and Phosh also wouldn’t allow me to login. I don’t know if it is still the case, but only passwords of 6 digits worked for me.

I’ve been using an alphanumeric user password (with more than 6 characters) since I flashed byzantium months ago, and have had no problems logging in.

1 Like

OK, I haven’t tried it since Nov. 2021, so I guess that means that they have updated the Phosh code to handle alphanumeric passwords.

It would also be nice to have the option to configure Phosh to enable/disable having to enter the password or be able to set a time period for having to login. I would like the option to only have to login, if I haven’t logged in the last 15 minutes.

1 Like

Some time ago the password change GUI enforced a limit of 6 (i.e. not shorter than) but if you changed the password with passwd you could override that. If you did that then I don’t think the lock screen itself had a problem with a shorter PIN. (amber)

1 Like

Hi,
i changed the password via terminal to 16 alpha numeric password containing numbers,letters and symbols and the lockscreen accepted that password.

1 Like