Librem 5 — Promise Delivery Chart

I’ve looked and I think it may have been this post that I’m thinking of. So I must have just remembered wrong.

For me the back cover in the Aspen photos doesn’t look as metal, more some molded plastic.

Other thing, if you open the back cover you look at the board from top with the modem (M2 connected), but the cage for the SIM is below the board. I do not see in the case some cuts to enter/change the SIM from outside. How is this supposed to be managed?

And, what is the overall thickness, placed the L5 with the display on a table to the top of the backside of the cover?

Nothing says interrogate me quite like a lead covered phone.

1 Like

Yea , to me I got the composite polymer vibe from what the “first off the assembly line” looked like .

For me, it’s sandblasted aluminium.
But it can be a plastic imitation of it…

I was somehow under the impression the 3.5mm audio jack doubles as mic-in by auto-sense.
@ekuzmenko just clarified in a Youtube comment that

it is definitely a 4-pole CTIA/AHJ headset jack

Table updated

4 Likes

@Caliga

This is a great post.

At first glance you might want to include:
NFC support, DAC specs, (Collaboration) L5 dedicated accessoires ([flip]cover, screen protector, etc.)

Keep up the good work, much appreciated!

1 Like

oh … so a 3.5 mm Y splitter could still be used if dedicated ports are a requirement for anybody …

2 Likes

Will i be able to operate the L5 directly connected to
a wall power outlet - in stationary mode device - independent
of the battery, which will be detached and completely removed ?

2 Likes

Don’t take my word for granted as I don’t work on the hardware, but as far as I know - yes.

2 Likes

That would be Amazing!
The way I use the phone , would extend the battery life to 4 years :slight_smile:

Like a POTS landline? :slight_smile: But yes 5"7 is enough to operate as wallboard

1 Like

Maybe a bit expensive for that use case.

Most of the wallboards I’ve seen in my experience are using iPad mini which are having comparable price tag. But considering iPads were never designed for always-on and are thus replaced each half a year it makes them even less cost-effective.

1 Like

:slight_smile:
Nuh, it’s just that 10 -12 hours straight (most days) the screen is on (navigation, video, calls, etc) , runs through the charging cycles very fast.
The only phone I managed to keep with healthy battery (98%) for about a year was Moto Z Play. And it was thanks to the combo of the Moto’s Battery Mod holding it at 80% and I never let it drop below 30s while off it as well never charging it over night (to 100%).
Less efficient phones with smaller battery, would drop to 90% capacity (same use) in just 3 months , 80% in six and so on.
Then there is an issue with overheating (charging while in use, fast charging, etc) , which also leads to faster battery degradation.
Except for saving money and consumer’s convenience, this is great for the environment.

1 Like

Regarding the “Phone delivery Q3” promise: I haven’t heard of anyone who received one in Q3 except the two more-or-less internal people - have you @Caliga?

2 Likes

No, that’s why it’s marked as partial.
It’s a very low kind of partial, but it’s also not intended as a scientific analysis.
It is intended to give an overview and everybody can adjust their own rating.

2 Likes

Why not set a battery charge limit at 80%? I think I read that it will be possible somewhere…

Collaboration with Ubports Foundation is definitively far too late : https://ubports.com/fr_FR/blog/notre-blog-1/post/october-2019-status-of-ubuntu-touch-on-librem-5-smartphone-250

IMHO, it should not have a green status.

3 Likes

If you are talking about Moto Mods, that’s exactly what I was doing when I had the battery pack available. It would either keep it at 80% if you start from higher number (let it deplete down to 80%) or if you you snap it on at lower percentage it would charge until 80 and hold it there.
As far as L5 options for charging I’m not aware of any