Librem 5 — Promise Delivery Chart

So I can speak to the Monero bit a little. While I’m not the point person in the Monero community for interfacing with Purism this is something that I have followed intensely because I would love to spend XMR whenever and wherever. The last meta workgroup public discussion we had about this I had raised concerns around the Librem Pay et al apps being mentioned in the Librem One reveal blog post, but no mention of Monero w/ respect to Librem Pay

rehrar ended up talking to Todd on 2019/05/15 and I quote from rehrar:

In short, Purism is super excited about Monero still, and don’t really care for any other cryptocurrencies because Monero matches their philosophy on right to privacy built in and by default. Especially with their Librem Pay, where he confirmed the idea that people will be able to pay everyday merchants using Monero integrated through their service.
They want to see the application be adaptive, to work on desktop and mobile depending on size

So if anyone has any questions, feel free to ping myself or rehrar or dsc on #monero-community on freenode, but the short of it is, yes it’s still happening, abet in the preliminary stages and I’ll continue to nip at the heels of the relevent GUI folk (and contribute localization myself) to make sure it does get followed through.

Edit: Namely we’re still waiting I think for Purism to point us at the Librem Pay repo so we can start to think out the UX and flesh out the Monero aspect of it.

6 Likes

I’m happy to work with you @xmrscott to get this into PureOS and on the laptop and phone. I’ll jump on IRC and ping you there too. I can only second your paraphrase from rehrar and Todd - Purism is very interested in Monero and we want to bring it to the phone.

10 Likes
  1. This post is awesome.
  2. I can confirm we are in discussions with the FSF on RYF certification on another product at the moment (Librem Key). We will also discuss RYF with the phone and hopefully that will be easier and fast because we will have gone through the process once already.
15 Likes

So just to confirm, Bluetooth works on the L5 but not on the laptops?

Hmmm. I can see someone asking for the capability to tether the phone to the laptop (via WiFi or USB) and then remote serve Bluetooth-connected devices from the phone to the laptop. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Could we have the table of the promises and delivered in some web page separated from the thread discussion, for bettet printing etc.? Thanks

1 Like

Yes. See the “custom firmware” reference on RYF in the table.

As you probably know, it can be made to work, but not in an FSF compliant way yet. However, they are working on that, too.
See Nicoles comments from first to last.

@guru most browsers support selecting a text range before opening the print dialog (print selection). Does that work for you?
I made an image version on Twitter, in case you like that better.
Should also add that image to my toot, maybe :thinking:

6 Likes

This post is really cool :slight_smile:

6 Likes

The Librem 5 is really cool :slight_smile:
And so are the dudes and dudettes making it possible.
Happy to show some support :heart_eyes:

10 Likes

edited 33 times already :wink: what a number sheesh

3 Likes

That number is gonna grow in the next few weeks :wink:

6 Likes

I’m 80% lazy and 20% perfectionist. I forgot about the lazy part, as I believe in this project :wink:

Sounds… well… promising! :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

Some days ago I re-discovered this awesome interview with Todd on Monero. He’s really convinced of it. If anybody is interested in the details, watch this, especially the second half.

2 Likes

I read the latest blog post as “good chance for mainlined HDMI support”, so I added that as potential over-delivery.
Keep rocking, Purism!

5 Likes

By now, not only do we have confirmed the case is metal (main and back), we also know it’s aluminium.
Also, the latest pictures in the gallery (in contrast to the early ones) have visible power and volume buttons, so I marked these as confirmed :slight_smile:

Also noteworthy: link click stats:
Most interesting topics

• 60 - EU reseller (take note, Purism :wink: )
  • 34 - Plasma Mobile
  • 26 - Does Not Track You
  • 21 - GNSS details (GPS/Galileo/Glonass/BeiDou/QZSS)
  • 21 - quick charge
  • 19 - Convergence
  • 18 - UBports
  • 14 - RYF / FSF approval
  • 14 - replacement parts
  • 12 - T1 modem for Australia
  • 11 - CE Markings
  • 11 - blog updates
4 Likes

I thought only the sides of the case were metal?

https://matrix.to/#/!BSqRHgvCtIsGittkBG:talk.puri.sm/$156944740713652RypsZ:talk.puri.sm?via=talk.puri.sm&via=matrix.org&via=librem.one

1 Like

Somehow this link doesn’t work for me.
See the sources I linked in the table for Aluminium. Purism tooted the back is also Aluminium.

Hi

This is what the link shows,

Rich

6 Likes

Btw: From the Aspen Production Shoots you see that the acces to the modem etc. is below the back cover and not by removing the display (as discussed in another thread), look at the fotos which show the audio jack. uncovered and covered.

What is the material of the back cover?

Based on the photos posted, I didn’t see any cutouts on the chassis (frame) and back plate as well. If the back is indeed made of metal, this phone will have significantly weaker signal.

I am really curious too if anyone hears anything.