Librem 5 — Promise Delivery Chart

Laptop mode is not the same as desktop mode. A better link: https://puri.sm/posts/a-librem-5-video-made-on-a-librem-5/

Perhaps, it could be enough to link to the list of apps in wiki:

The list of all default apps for PureOS is in the PureOS wiki. Since last August they periodically update these two lists in the Wiki: Mobile-optimized apps
Mobile-optimized apps from 3rd party repos

1 Like

suggestions incorporated, thanks @fsflover

@angus.ainslie, most excellent! :slight_smile:

It also depends on what qualifies as perfectly fine :slight_smile:

The moment I lift my finger after scrolling the view, Gnome Calendar opens a Create new event dialog on my Dogwood phone. In general, there’s also the problem with buttons being too small. But that is to be expected, of course, until Calendar is ported to use libhandy.

I agree that Gnome Calendar is in fact usable despite this.

Edit to add reference to this thread:

@Caliga, This chart needs to be updated. I recommend making these changes:

Change:
Phosh, Phoc, Squeekboard, Kings Cross
To:
Phosh, Phoc, Chatty, Calls, libhandy, feedbackd, haegtesse, wys

Best to remove Kings Cross, since Zander Brown isn’t a Purism employee (although new software which was developed starting in April 2019) and Squeekboard, since it is based on Eekboard.

Change:

• video out (DisplayPort)
  • video out (HDMI) | planned upgrade: mainline HDMI

To:

• video out (DisplayPort) | Can use HDMI monitors with a USB-C to HDMI cable

Remove the “video out (HDMI)” because the industry has not adopted the HDMI alt-mode over USB-C standard and no cell phone on the market supports it.

Change:
(WiFi/BT on replacable M.2 card)
To:
(WiFi/BT on replaceable M.2 card)

Change:
battery user replacable
To:
battery is user replaceable | Easily replaceable without tools

Change:
Bluetooth 4
To:
Bluetooth | RS9116 supports Bluetooth 5.0, but only Bluetooth 4 verified so far

Change:
(baseband on replacable M.2 card)
To:
(cellular baseband on replaceable M.2 card)

Change:
(RGB status LED)
To:
(RGB status LED) | programable with PWM control per color

Change:
Compass (Magnetometer)
To:
Compass (Magnetometer)

Get rid of the italics and bold, because all compass sensors on phones are magnetometers.

Add:
Collaboration postmarketOS | info, article

Purism gave Birch and Dogwood to postmarketOS for porting work.

Change:
:white_check_mark: | Collaboration UBports | devices (a bit late)
To:
( :white_check_mark: ) :hourglass_flowing_sand: | Collaboration UBports | devices arrived late; UBports decided to prioritize the PinePhone port

Change:
:white_check_mark: | Runs UBports | status, video
To:
( :white_check_mark: ) | Runs UBports’ Ubuntu Touch | status, video, prioritizing port to PinePhone

Change:
:white_check_mark: | Collaboration Plasma
To:
( :white_check_mark: ) | Collaboration KDE | Support for Qt/KDE apps added to Phosh, but porting Plasma Mobile to the Librem 5 has stalled

Change status of “Runs Plasma Mobile” to “( :white_check_mark: )”

Purism’s work on the Plasma Mobile port stopped when Bob Ham left Purism, but it should be possible to use Plasma Mobile through postmarketOS port, which needs verification.

Change:
CPU separate from Baseband
To:
CPU separate from cellular baseband

Add:
(Plastic screen protector in box)

Add:
(Anbox support to run Android apps) | Mentioned as a stretch goal in original crowfunding

Add:
(Published x-rays of phone) | To detect tampering and inserted spy chips

Add:
(internal plastic cover and screws) | Covers PCBs so anti-interdiction services can detect tampering

For “Collaboration Matrix”, change its status to :ballot_box_with_check:
Add note:
Paid a developer to work on Fractal, a Matrix client

Has anyone verified that Fractal works in the Librem 5?

Change:
(quick charge)
To:
(Power Delivery quick charging)
Add note:
Supports up to 2A x 12V (24W) charging

Change:
(power supply), matching buyer’s area
To:
(Power Delivery charger in box) | plugs match buyer’s region of world

2 Likes

…and phoc, since it’s based on rootston? :wink: Both squeekboard and phoc evolved way beyond their initial codebases (and squeekboard even got its parts rewritten into a different language), the projects they were initially based on are just technical details at this point.

Did it? It works on postmarketOS. Only packaging Plasma Mobile on PureOS amber-phone stalled (long time ago already), because Debian Buster is a way too old base to reasonably support PlaMo. It may be within the reach for byzantium though.

I’m using it daily on my Librem 5 (via flatpak).

The battery wouldn’t take charging this fast well - that’s the maximum power the device will ever negotiate from the charger, and that power then gets split into charging and operating (and in practice I doubt that it would ever draw 24W, that’s quite a lot - 10W is usually already enough to charge at full speed while the phone is in use).

2 Likes

Hi @Caliga,

Change:
high resolution screen | ~220 DPI, 720x1440
To:
high resolution screen | 282 DPI, 720x1440

This gets it closer to 300 DPI, which Apple defined as the minimum for its “Retina Display”.

Then it should be:

(Developed Completely New Software):
Phosh, Chatty, Calls, libhandy, feedbackd, haegtesse, wys

or:

(Developed New Software):
Phosh, Phoc, Squeekboard, Chatty, Calls, libhandy, feedbackd, haegtesse, wys

If Plasma Mobile is verified to work on the postmarketOS port for the Librem 5, then change to:
:white_check_mark: | Runs Plasma Mobile | using the postmarketOS port

Also change to:
:white_check_mark: | Collaboration KDE | support for Qt/KDE apps added to Phosh, and can use Plasma Mobile with postmarketOS

OK, then use:
(Power Delivery quick charging) | more info

(I updated the FAQ with Sebastian’s latest comments on charging).

1 Like

Also, battery news: https://puri.sm/posts/librem-5-4500mah-battery-upgrade/

3 Likes

On modem related news :smiley:

We have a new modem option to announce, the very coveted T1 modem variant to cover Australia an the South East Asia region. More information bellow.

@Caliga I know you had many such requests, but: can you update the post with this info?

1 Like

@mladen added 3rd battery upgrade
@joao.azevedo added fifth modem option
(more updates when I got time…)

1 Like

Danke! :smiley:

1 Like

I think you should add the following promise to your post:

A few people are interested in this.

Not sure in which way it should be included - do you mean “it is possible to update all remaining binary blobs” or “we hope to eventually free as much of these firmwares as possible”? Also, you probably rather meant Kyle’s earlier response: !?

The promise is

we [will] document the process in our Librem 5 developer docs at some point, when it’s relevant (such as when there’s an update to apply)

In other words, Purism should explain how to update proprietary firmware for Wi-Fi and modem at some point (at least when new firmware is available). The original question was about the proprietary firmware in RAM, so that firmware may also be updatable at some point I guess.

@amosbatto replied in that Hacker News thread that Purism already explained how to update the modem firmware. Now I am expecting explanations how to update the other two things.

My comment is probably a bit clumsy but :
you’re going from someone who says “I would expect” to “The promise is
Isn’t it a bit jumping on conclusion ?

it doesn’t feel like a formal promise

You would be right if you only considered this comment without the context. But the context is what quoted by @Caliga above:

Without a possibility to update firmware, you can end up with an insecure device if any bugs are found in it. Thus even a promise of a “secure” device would not be fulfilled in such case.

People may be interested in reading my comment on Hacker News about the security of firmware blobs, and why I think Purism has the right strategy for achieving change:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=25518389

5 Likes

@Caliga: Thanks again for all the work on this!
One question regarding the FCC / CE Certifications: There was a confirmation that they are still being worked on, If I am not mistaken, but they are not available yet and thus also delayed?