Librem 5 Ready-To-Market?

How is the certification going on? Any details on that?

Thanks much for clarifying on the camera @Kyle_Rankin. Appreciate your honest reply.

Me too. Just that I want Purism to reduce on the thickness aspect of the phone.

4 Likes

Maybe better to write “GNU/Linux” there, otherwise some besserwisser will inevitably come and tell you that Android phones are also running Linux (the Linux kernel). Also, good to give some credit to GNU.

7 Likes

This alone makes it worth it. I hate when now I need to select even laptops from the perspective “is it locked?” which is translated to “will I be able to wipe windows and install linux there?”. Unfortunately neither purism nor s76 offer form factors I’m after so I need to fish it out of the swamp market.
In the phone area I need to pull my form-factor preferences in as there’s pretty much no other choices nowadays.

3 Likes

Then you have pretty much answered your own question. Right?

I don’t accept that there is only one definition of RTM but if you accept yours then you have your answer.

Let’s be absolutely clear: Purism is disclosing in the shipping email that the camera is not yet working.

There is nothing misleading about that.

I was one who nominated that a (rear, non-selfie) camera is actually a pretty important piece of functionality for me personally (after, you know, doing actual calls and texts) but I will still be happy to receive the phone without a working camera.

Take into account that the original crowdfunders were prepared to put money up for this phone knowing that there was some risk that for some reason it wouldn’t ever be delivered at all. By that standard getting a phone at all is a win.

I am pretty sure that only original crowdfunders are getting the phone at this stage, and probably only early backers from among the original crowdfunders. Clearly that group has different expectations about what “ready” means and about what level of completeness is available today.

If someone walks in off the street and buys one today (metaphorically speaking) then by the time they get their phone, I would expect a much greater level of completeness - and closer to your idea of “ready”.

Will it ever be “complete”? Probably not. If I know the type of early backer customer, there will always be something to tinker with. :wink:

4 Likes

We can look forward to @rinigus excellent Pure Maps for this: see A nice Free-Software GPS navi app and https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1556433#post1556433

3 Likes

I am yet to receive the modem selection / shipping email. But if Purism is making it clear upfront before shipping the phone then it is understood that they are being transparent. Since I do not know this fact so I would say Purism is being honest here and doing the right thing.

By RTM, I meant all the functionality working. And since it is GNU/Linux the tinkering aspect is almost always there.

Thanks for making the camera disclosure point.

2 Likes

Actually I dislike the humongous amount of pixels they default to on phone cameras. You want to transmit it via message and it ends up being converted to a smaller size anyway and it may just eat up monthly bandwidth if you’re on a cheap service. It’s not like we’re all photographers for National Geographic (there’s a hidden joke there). How much detail do we really need to transmit?

3 Likes

I agree, it’s another one of those things that Big Tech have successfully indoctrinated people with, like the belief that it’s important for a phone to be extremely thin (even though they anyway put it in a thing leather thingy) and that you need a “retina” display that has a resolution far beyond the point where a normal person can even tell the difference. It’s good for manufacturers who can use these things to persuade customers to buy new phones ridiculously often.

3 Likes

That is the exact point I had made. Camera megapixels do not matter much for me too. Since you brought up the National Geographic point, I think a good picture has more to do with the lighting effect and ability of person to take great shots.

A CHDK kind of hack can definitely be thought of once Librem 5 camera software is available for use.

Hi Kyle_Rankin,

As reported by amarok cellular calls made using a SIM are somewhat “muffled” & the call quality is not great, was this issue known before shipping?

Thanks in advance

LinuxNew

I’ve had the opposite experience. The call quality on my Dogwood phone was good and Evergreen was better. When I’ve made calls people seem to think the audio quality is good. I wonder if amarok needs to investigate mixer settings, has a bad signal where they are, or something else.

1 Like

With respect to cellular calls, it’s also worth noting that as the Librem 5 does not yet support VoLTE, the phone drops from LTE to 3g/2g when making traditional cellular calls. I’ve noticed in some areas where I’ve had strong LTE signal I had weak 3g/2g signal and that could account for it as well.

5 Likes

It will be interesting to see what others say.

Is call quality perfect or good and a work in progress?

Having cellular calls will be important.

Can 4G work?

I don’t know how you’d define “perfect” but at least in my personal experience and the experience of others on the team I’ve heard from, it’s as good as any other cellular phone.

2 Likes

@Kyle_Rankin Could you post a screenshot of your audio settings, so I can match mine to yours? I’ll check if the problem resolves and report here.

Edit: Or just write your settings for me on this thread.

3 Likes

Can you recieve 4G amarok?

And good idea :+1::+1:

This is a non-Voice-over-LTE modem at the moment, so it cannot engage in a phone connection on 4G yet.

1 Like

I have a good AT&T signal all around here at my house. T-mobile was a problem before I switched, because of the coverage problem you described. As a result my calls over 3G (on my Android, which is non-VoLTE) frequently didn’t ring in or even connect to voicemail, and I sometimes couldn’t call out. So I had to switch to the Death Star company. :grimacing:

1 Like

My input device is Internal microphone and the volume is to the max. I believe that the calls application also does something special to the pulseaudio settings to avoid an echo between the two microphones. Perhaps @dos can speak to that.

1 Like