Librem 5 Screen Brightness

Hi, this looks like a very interesting project. I think there are actually many people waiting for a phone like this. One thing that is important to me is the screen brightness.

Essentially, will I be able to easily see this screen outdoors in the sunlight? This seems to be a neglected aspect of mobile devices in general since there is a tradeoff between brightness vs resolution and battery life.

I looked around but could not find the hardware specs for the screen, did I miss it? Also, my current phone has “Outdoor Mode”, but I am forced to dig through menus each time I want to use it and it automatically turns off after 15 minutes. Perhaps if the Librem 5 simply allow me to set the brightness for the screen to any safe level regardless of the effect on battery life stats/etc that would be enough.

3 Likes

Difference would also be made in panel type, not just brightness: “LCD, OLED, AMOLED, Super AMOLED, TFT, IPS”

I can’t provide insight on which of these - or others - are best for outdoors, however.

I think the most important aspects for visibility in sunlight are that the screen is bright and unreflective. But as I mentioned regarding “outdoor mode”, it could be that max brightness is actually primarily limited by the software.

If I am just sitting in the yard, etc I can even plug the phone in and not worry about battery life so why not let me crank the brightness way up? Even doing it to the point where it could shorten the life of the screen… perhaps it would be worth it to replace the screen every so often as long as it is not a big hassle/expense to do so.

Currently, phones are not giving that level of control to the user. Maybe this phone could do that.