Librem 5 support H.265 on NXP i.MX8M

It seems that the L5 is pretty close on play video (decoding) in H.265-HEVC. Hantro-kernel-driver already support h.265 to NXP i.MX8M chipset :smiley: :film_projector:

https://www.spinics.net/lists/kernel/msg3836098.html
@dos @guido.gunther ?
8 Likes

AV1 is the most Chad-est of HEVCs there is right now ā€¦ buzz-words !!! DING !

2 Likes

Awesome news. I wonder whether Collabora got documentation on the Hantro G2 decoder and who gave it to them (VeriSilicon, NXP, Rockchip or Microchip)?

1 Like

Collabora fundation is the creator of the Libre Hantro-vpu Driver including G1.h.264,G2.h.265 to VeriSilicon VPUs found in SOCs Rockchip, i.MX8, Microchip. I guess that final kernel 5.11 or 5.12 will came with hantro-G2 merged then Purism will can enable HEVC decoding on L5 on pureos byzantium.
I checked the hantro driver on my Evergreen then it seems that purism is not yet enabled this cool driver on stable kernel.

@carlosgonz enabling the driver in the kernel is not the issue, see https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/linux-next/-/merge_requests/129 - weā€™re currenty sorting out the gstreamer side to make use of it (due to kernel API changes when things got moved out of staging)

6 Likes

Thank you @guido.gunther
Great that Purism is already tracking the Hantro driver to L5. :smiley:

2 Likes

Hereā€™s h264 via gstreamer on the L5 https://social.librem.one/@agx/105799071793016596 (working but not yet packaged for the phone, will likely be byzantium only due to the amount of gstreamer changes), h265 didnā€™t land in gstreamer yet.

6 Likes

Thank you @guido.gunther you are doing really really great work on pushing H.264/5 fast to Librem 5.
Will Totem(gnome video) play H.265 by using FFmpeg on Byzantium?
Will Epiphany play H.265 on some time on Byzantium by upgrading Gstreamer?

1 Like

Eventually likely yes but that needs e.g. more work in totem (which we also need for h264).

2 Likes

I just report that Totem is played very well a video in H.264 on amber and L5.
Librem 5 is awesome on every updates.
W a i t i n g for Byzantium.
Thank you Purism HKS.

4 Likes

looking forward to using Celluloid < MPV GTK GUI front-end on the L5. on the desktop you can basically drag and drop snooptube AV-content over to MPV and it-just-works ā„¢

@guido.gunther @dos @dcz I can not wait much, to watching videos on H.264 or H.265 on full screen on my L5 Evergreen, but I want to keep my L5 cooler, smooth motion, and low energy while i watching the videos so please, please please Purism turn ON the VPUs on Byzantium. :face_with_monocle:

This is maybe a minor thing, but the only thing that taints the kernel on the L5 now is that the hantro_vpu driver is in staging. Does anyone know when it could be accepted to the main portion of the kernel? Would be really cool to have a completely untainted kernel running on the L5 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hantro g1 and g2 it already on L5 kernel, just that at the moment Gstreamer only can handle g1, so now you can watch videos H.264 by using Hantro_vpu driver and ā€œClapperā€ is a GNOME media player.

Iā€™m getting some pretty bad artifacts when playing back a H.265 (HEVC) sample video with Clapper. I had to enable ā€œUse playbin3ā€ under ā€œTweaksā€ to at least get some video output (albeit corrupted) instead of a black screen.
Since PureOS doesnā€™t ship with a recent GStreamer version that supports the v4l2slh265dec plugin, I tried to run GStreamer within the Clapper flatpak with results in the same behavior:

flatpak run --command=sh com.github.rafostar.Clapper
$ gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=Videos/h265.mp4 ! qtdemux ! v4l2slh265dec ! glupload ! glimagesink

I get the same behavior when running the same gst-launch-1.0 command outside the flatpak after flashing postmarketOS edge, which provides a more recent version of GStreamer.

H.264 media is decoded correctly without issues though :slight_smile:

Could anyone confirm if this is also an issue youā€™re seeing?

1 Like

I guess it is a known issue in Hantro to L5 VPU(Thanks Collabora), i not tested h.265 but i tested VP9 and bad artifacts it there too.
As far i know this bug is not for PPP VPU.

@dos 0xd05

I did a new test today for h.265 under matroska and clapper and it played extremely good motion at 60 fps 720p. not more bad artifacsā€¦ let is make more debugging

Sadly i do not have a good camera, like capable to recording at 60fps to capture the extremely motion of Librem 5.
Thanks to 0xd05 for the 63 or 65 hz for L5 it feelingā€¦

Very interesting! I would like to reproduce this on my device to investigate further.

Could you provide a link to a H.265 file that played back well on your device, so I can try to reproduce it? Additionally, what kernel version are you on? You can find out by executing uname -a.
Are you also running Clapper 0.5.2 installed via Flatpak?

I would love to be able to play H.265 media without issues on my Librem 5, but I havenā€™t been successful so far.

https://www.libde265.org/hevc-bitstreams/bbb-1280x720-cfg06.mkv

LinuxLibre 6.2

Yes

Purism team.

1 Like