Librem 5 USA shipping

All Purism (future) dates are estimations, not promises.

Has there been disappointment? You betcha.

They didn’t. It’s a different phone with different hardware.

Estimations can be tolerated as long as they are not off by a magnitude. i.e. 10 days is not an estimation after the 3rd month! Or they need to succinctly define their terms; e.g. in stock.

3 Likes

I agree with you. If you get an estimate of 6-8 weeks, and it arrives on week 9-10, eh, no big deal, they were a little off. But if you get an estimate of 6-8 weeks and are now on week 20+ with no news, you start to ask yourself where they pulled that original estimate from. They are currently nowhere near fulfilling orders in the timeline they suggested, and keep pushing the goalpost back. I don’t blame people for being bitter or feeling like they’ve “been had” by these long waits, Purism is starting to look like that friend who always has a new excuse for not paying you back the money he owes you.

4 Likes

FWIW, I’m a self-employed software developer I can’t imagine telling a customer I would deliver something in 8 weeks and instead take 7 months especially after confirming delivery address at week 11 and telling them it would be delivered in 10 days! I would soon be an out of work software developer!

1 Like

Different phone with different hardware? Totally false! The only thing that differentiates the two products (Librem 5 vs Librem 5 USA) is where (the physical location) they were manufactured. The components inside of the phone are the exact same and are sourced from the same global supply chains. The schematic and layout are the same. Everything is the same except location of manufacture. Purism even markets the Librem 5 USA as such. Some arguement can be made that says that certain components are more available in certain locations. But for $100.00, you can send hundreds of hard-to-get chips almost anywhere on the planet. If someone sent you a Librem 5 phone and a Librem 5 schematic, there would be no way to tell which version of the phone you have. So let’s dispell here and now, the myth that they are different, or use different hardware. That is totally false.

When Purism builds and sells any Librem 5 to someone who did not wait their turn in line with the rest of us, Purism has violated our trust by allowing others to cut in line by paying more for the same hardware after it was our early pre-order commitments that made the Librem 5 possible to begin with. The only thing worse than being cheated this way is when someone tries to lie about the truth of this, in attempts to cover up the fact that hundreds or thousands of us have been and are being cheated every time a Librem 5 USA is shipped out of the waiting line sequence that was established before there ever was a Librem 5 USA.

3 Likes

This is exactly what makes the hardware different. Also price. You cannot just replace one thing with the other without increasing the price to $2k. The supply chains are independent. It doesn’t matter that the schematics and actual usability are the same.

The different price of the components is exactly why you can’t complain about moving the customers to the front/back of the line. It’s an independent line.

The delivery doesn’t matter. The original price of the chips is very different.

2 Likes

My point is that the differences between the two products is strictly political, not technical, not Engineering. The same schematics and PCB (electronic Gerber files) are used in the case of both products. The same silicon manufactures build the same major components in both cases. The component market is global, not local. We can’t pretend with any sense of honesty that different manufacturers make the same chips for each respective Librem 5 product. Maybe the sub-penny resistors and capacitors come from different manufacturers. The technical differences are truely trivial except that people pay a lot more if Purism chooses to have the product manufactured in the US instead of in China.

Let’s use another scenario to demonstrate the point which no honest person can justify. Let’s say that the Librem 14 sales suddenly skyrocketed. In such a scenario, let’s say that Purism put the Librem 5 on-hold for several months and started shipping only Librem 14’s. Let’s say that the Librem 5 and the Librem 14 only had one component in common and that this one component was very rare and difficult to obtain. So all of this one component went in to Librem 14s instead. Would this be honest and ethical treatment toward the Librem 5 pre-order customers? The resourcing that is being diverted from my Librem 5 pre-order to a different business priority of Purism’s and is not Purism’s resource to wheel and deal with. They do have the means to shorten my waiting line or to ship my product to me. They choose to use my money to make investments elsewhere. That is unacceptable.

L5 Ordered: December 17, 2019
Upgrade to L5 USA: January 14, 2021
Address confirmation for shipping email September 2, 2021.
I declined this shipping date to await Byzantium for L5.
Shipping email: April 18, 2022.
FedEx Delivery (in USA): anticipated April 19. 2022.

8 Likes